1 week old chick with bumble foot?

kimchick621

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 23, 2012
I have one week old chicks, and some of them have these marks on the bottoms of their feet. They're in an indoor brooder at the moment, and I'm completely confused as to how they might have bumble foot. Anyway, if it is bumblefoot do you treat them the same as you would a little chick like this? Or just neosporin and wrap it up? The chick is active and healthy, eating drinking and playing with it's mates.

I don't much about this but I found this thread for you and I hope that this helps. Seems like the one person really knows how to take care of it and what to do maybe message them. I hope all works out well if you need anymore help please don't hesitate and I will do what I can. I hope your baby gets better.

I've never heard of that in 1 week old chicks or even near that. BUT I suppose anyone can get staff infection. At this point I think I'd soak them in some Epsom salts, or even get ichthamol at the feed story. It looks like tar and smells, but it draws stuff out well. It's pretty cheap.. Then wrap the foot . Or put it on gauze and tape it on. I don't know if neosporin would help unless it's an open wound. You may end up giving them antibiotics as well. If more than one has it, I would consider it contagious .

I have gone ahead and started them on antibiotics. There are 4 out of 6 with marks like that on the bottoms of their feet. I'm nervous to do anything more to their feet. They all seem just fine otherwise.

So, one of the chicks looks like it's gotten worse, of course it's my daughter's favorite one. The spot on the bottom of her foot has turned black and crusty. Not all the chicks have these spots, but this one is the only one who seems to be progressing. Today is the second full day of antibiotics. I'm open to suggestion. Anyone ever seen this before? I've only found one post so far that mentions black spots on the bottoms of chick feet and it resulted in a dying chick. I really hope these babies don't die. :(

Are they from a hatchery? If so, could you call them and see if there have been problems like this reported? Maybe they know what it is and how to treat it.

Last edited:
If it turned black and crusty, could it be drying up?

I agree with notable Nancy. I would call the hatchery or email them with the pics and ask them what it is.

I called the feed store I got them from last week, they said they'd call the hatchery and get back with me. I hate that I have to deal with a middle man, but the people from this store have always been helpful so hopefully they will help. I took some pictures so you guys can see what I'm so worried about here.

First are pictures of the same chick as before. I'm sorry the quality of the pictures aren't so good. It's hard taking a picture of a chick in one hand and the camera in the other, lol.

This second picture is the chick with the worst spot. I'm sorry it's so out of focus, I will try working on another picture in a little bit and let the poor traumatized thing relax for a few. I only got one foot in the shot, but this is what both feet pretty much look like. Any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom