1 week old duckling dying in my hands

Warmth is critical. Your bird's environment should be kept at about 90 degrees. A hospital cage would be great, as it would keep the temperature at the level you want. But most people don't have that available and an acrylic bird carrier or fish tank available at pet stores can potentially be substituted. If you use one of those, you have to monitor the temperature quite carefully. This being said, putting a sick bird into a new environment may be stressful. Maybe placing the cage into a small room that can easily be heated (small bathroom, for example) might do. Drape a heavy cover on one of the sides, but make sure that the bird doesn't "sit in the dark" -- except at night. Potential heat sources can be a heating pad underneath the cage, hot bottles or heat lamps. Of course, the heat lamps shouldn't be used at night, as your pet needs to rest. Maybe a combination of heating pad at night and a heat lamp during the day might be an option. Do whatever works best for you.

Last edited:
So sorry,
hit.gif
it is never fun when you try your best and things still don't work out. I tried to respond as soon as I asw your post. I have been in your shoes. I lost a number of ducklings last year to something I never figured out. Sending hugs
hugs.gif

I am keeping her in the incubator now. It's about 98 degrees, do you think that's too warm?

From: http://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/avmed/cam/07_emergency_and_critical_care.pdf

Sick birds are often hypothermic and should be placed in heated (brooder-type) enclosures (Fig 7.7) in a quiet environment (see Chapter 1, Clinical Practice). A temperature of 85° F (29° C) with 70% humidity is desirable for most sick birds. If brooders are not equipped with a humidity source, placing a small dish of water in the enclosure will often supply adequate humidity. A moist towel that is heated and placed on the bottom of a cage or incubator rapidly humidifies the environment, as indicated by the fogging of the acrylic cage front.

My mama ducks hatched out babies last year and in 2 batches hatched at different times, I had a similiar experience. Everyone was fine, eating & drinking (I added vitamins to the water), then at about day 5 - one would just start to go weak and not be with the others. In both cases, I brought in the duckling and tried my best to save them but they eventually passed. No idea what the problem was since all the others continued to thrive and are now healthy ducks.

I hope yours makes it though, it's so hearbreaking to see one of them not make it.

You might want to try rubbing a *little* Kayro syrup on the duckling tongue, but I wouldn't try to make it swallow anything until it heats up.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom