1 week old - Leg problem?? Infection??

Princelyinanna

In the Brooder
Jun 10, 2021
We treated this baby for curled toes when she came to us from MPC. But her foot is still very stiff. Today we realized an absyss type thing on her ankle/hock that had dried blood and seemed swollen. We cleaned it off but what should i do next? What is the problem?

IMG_20210729_114844_772.jpg

Hi Princelyinanna, how is your baby doing?
How is her hock and how is her stiff foot?
To me it looks like she used her hock to move forward, perhaps instead of her foot.

Hi Princelyinanna, how is your baby doing?
How is her hock and how is her stiff foot?
To me it looks like she used her hock to move forward, perhaps instead of her foot.
hi, you are correct. The sore and swelling was due to her using her hock to move, a vet gave us some antibiotic/pain meds to make sure it heals well. I dont believe it was actually infected, just swollen and red

As for her leg, I actually ended up taking her to a vet because nothing was making it better. The vet said it was probably due to a vitamin difficiency in her mother (I ordered then from MPC) and there was nothing that could be done; her leg will be stiff for life. Luckily I keep my chickens as pets so I will be able to give her any special attention she needs, but she is otherwise doing fine and keeping up with the rest of the flock :) she has a bit of use with the foot, she can perch and peck just fine, though I have yet to see her scratch or dust bathe. thank you for checking up on her

That's great that she is feeling better and is keeping up with the rest of the flock! Thankfully she didn't develop an infection. That's awesome that you took her to the vet/that you do have a vet who treats chickens :thumbsup
Sounds like she can live a happy and protected life ❤️
I love that you are taking such great care for her!
Best wishes for your sweet little baby 🥰

Back
Top Bottom