1 week old silkie chick... passed out?

Ok, well low & behold... we have ice here in great old Michigan & the kids had a 2 hour delay for school. Mom of the year here, messed up the times, and my son missed the bus. So I had to drive him in. Since I was already in town, I stopped at the grocery/pharmacy for the Poly Vi Sol. They only had the Tri Vi Sol (does not have the B vitamin in it), so they ordered me the Poly Vi Sol and should have it here tomorrow. (I will at least have it on hand for the next batch of chicks!). Then I stopped at the farm store and got non medicated chick starter.

So just now, for today at least, I changed his feed to the non medicated, I added a little bit of the Save-A-Chick back to his water (I had given that to the chicks already for the first 3 days, but then put them on just plain water). I also shaved a tiny amount from my B complex pill, mixed it with a bit of water, and fed him a few drops of it.

He was just eating like a pro football player at that new feed, and now he's napping with his teddy bear. Aww... I guess that's all I can do for him for now.

We'll see. Thanks for your help! I'll update with more info later.

~Maah

sometimes chickens will have failure to thrive. I always give my baby chicks protein when I bring them home. this can make all the difference.

I did have a duck that would go into seizures. I got her as a single, and tried to put a baby doll in the pen with her, but when she would look at the doll she would flop on her back and act like she was going through electrical shocks when I took the doll away she'd act normal. (there wasn't any electrical things around her and the doll was not battery operated.)

Any change in your peeper?
Nikki

No real noticeable changes yet. He's not all better, but I don't think he's not any worse either. I guess that's good. That actually surprises me. I was getting the impression that he was spiraling downward pretty fast and wasn't expecting him to be around this long. He's a fighter though. He slept with his teddy bear most of the afternoon. He's continued to eat and drink while awake though & that's good. I've still noticed a little head flicking every once in a great while, but I haven't been watching him too much the last couple of hours. I just went in there and checked on him and he was up and quite alert actually. Looked right up at me when I walked in and ran around a little bit.

Time will tell. If he holds on until tomorrow afternoon I can get him started on the Poly Vi Sol.

LOL - double negative there... I really should proof read this stuff before I submit it. I don't think he's any worse. :)

Try giving him a bit of egg yolk fro protein mixed with water. don't be to weirded out by cannibalism because they have been living off yolk while in the egg.

That might help. I give my chicks hard boiled egg yolk crumbled up , and it definitly seems to pep them up plus they LOVE it. My little "Nugget" is the smallest and seemed quite weak or just not as mobile and playful as the other chicks , a little egg yolk seemed to change all that and she had alot more energy.

Back
Top Bottom