1 week old silkie chick... passed out?

hit.gif
so sorry to hear all you have been through. It is so hard to make the decucition to put him down, you have done all you can for this batch. I hope all goes well with your new ones . Let us know how the new hatch goes. I have been nursing a sick rooster and a little one with bad legs. I lost the little one two days ago. We did all we could for it. My rooster seams to be doing better. It is so hard sometimes having chickens. I get too atached. Any way good luck and have a great day.
hugs.gif

Aw, sorry to hear that, but as said before- you're doing what's best for your whole flock. If it is something genetic, what are your plans? Will you try replacing the rooster and hatching again? :fl your next batch of chicks turns out alright!
Nikki

Ugh... Well, DH has given Mini a temporary stay of execution. I don't know why exactly or if this is a good thing or a bad thing. Mini is the 1 chick in the bunch that has some less than desirable traits (weak, leg issues, runt, 4 toes on right side). However DH would like to see what comes from the new hatchlings before he completely condemns Mini. So, this is getting "not quite so" interesting for us. We will now have 3 different brooders set up in 3 different areas. Since Mini's feathers are coming in nicely and he will be alone, he is actually going to use our old hamster cage. Just don't tell him that's what it is, and he won't care. We are still setting up a brand new brooder for the 4 chicks I'm picking up today (they will be standards adding to our laying flock and replacing some that we will be retiring this fall), and the current brooder will be sterilized for the weekend hatching. I trust DH's farming instincts... so I will let him compare the new hatch set with this last one before deciding more.

I know that bantam chicks supposedly tend to have a harder go at this time of year. Maybe things would be different in the spring when it's not so cold out, or maybe not. However, if we find that whatever this is ends up being genetic, especially if it ends up being something respiratory genetic. Then it's very likely we will replace both the roo & the hen (& the chicks). I couldn't in good conscience give out any hatching eggs or chicks, and I couldn't in good conscience give the breeding pair away to another farm either. Unfortunately sometimes it's tough being a farmer. If it does end up being something genetic though it makes me wonder if the people I bought them from knew something. Did any of their chicks from this line have seizures, neurological or respiratory issues, or leg issues? I guess I'll never know.

Yes, I would definitely like to continue breeding and hatching on this small level. I am completely in love with it, as is my daughter (these are actually her silkies!). Maybe we would go with a different color silkie, or even a different breed (though we have fallen in love with the silkies. LOL). It's too early to say though until I know what is happening with what we have.

In case anybody has been wondering how my daughter has been handling all of this.. she has been amazing over this whole thing! I am very impressed and so very proud of her. She is only 12, but has handled this all like an adult. She has a bleeding heart when it comes to animals, however she understands that sometimes the right thing to do is also the hardest thing. She has been fully involved in all the decisions that are made with her chickens. She even gives her dad a hug and tells him thank you for doing what she is not strong enough to do herself after he culls any of them. Wow.

I will keep updating. My next hatch goes into lockdown tonight or tomorrow morning, due to hatch this weekend. I do think that we will learn more about what we're dealing with from this next hatch. Hopefully!

Any advice from anybody is greatly welcomed.

Thanks, Maah

Are the breeding pair of silkies you have, related? Do you have more eggs in the incubator from that same pair? I would be worried about hatching their eggs out since there is something going on. They say that any thing that is wrong with the parents is amplified in the babies. So maybe thats what it is.
If I were you and I wanted to keep breeding silkies, I would either get a new pair. Or if you think one silkie is a better quality than the other one, get another one to pair it with and go from there.

I also wanted to say that I've very sorry for the loss your chicks. I hope Mini pulls through then you'll have this really special chicken with a really special story. haha. I'm so happy that your daughter is taking this all so well. As I parent I would be terrified of having to tell my son that we had to cull his chicks. But its amazing that she understands the circle of life.

These eggs were set in the incubator before we realized there was anything going on with these chicks. They are from the same parents. If this 2nd hatch ends up the same way, then no we will not be hatching out any more from this pair and will likely get a completely new line. Both the roo and the hen have really good qualities. I looked them over very well before I bought them. So I wouldn't be able to say if it were the roo or the hen (or both) causing problems. If this ends up the case and I have to replace my pair... I have my eye on a few BYC members & maybe I can pry some nice hatching eggs away from some of them. :)

If they are brother/sister, I would replace one of them (likely the roo, the hen is valuable since she is producing) regardless of whether the next batch of chicks have problems or not. I don't have a problem breeding son/mother or daughter/father, but never breed siblings. They'll each carry faults from their parents, no matter how perfect they are, and breeding that together will show up exaggerated in their offspring. I would be more than happy to give you some eggs from my flock if you'd like to add some fresh blood. You'd have to pay shipping, but other wise the eggs would be free. Let me know if that's something you're interested in. And while you're eyeing BYC hatching eggs, look up Catdance, she's got some of the most beautiful birds I've ever laid eyes on!
Nikki

Here is what I know about the bloodline of these silkies. I bought them as a trio. Roo, Hen, and their pullet. I know not to breed siblings to each other, but I also don't have a problem with breeding the father to the daughter. I liked the looks of them, so I had a trio. Great. So I thought.

Last November the momma hen went psycho (ha ha) broody. I couldn't break her of it. We figured, what the heck, let's just make her happy and we put a couple of americauna eggs under her. She practically purred the whole month of December. She never left the nest until day 21. Nothing hatched. DH & I checked it out & it looks like the chicks quit around day 16 or 17... ?

We didn't expect too much... we do live in Michigan and it gets super cold here. She must have known the chicks were gone & so she left them. I'm guessing it was her practically 2 month long broody strike (barely eating and rarely leaving the nest), the super cold, and as much as she wanted to be a momma hen maybe some depression too... She died about a week & 1/2 later.

The daughter, just started laying eggs the same week the mother died. We collected the eggs for a week, and then after that we set 7 of them (results of batch #1). I agree some of this could be genetics. I don't know the bloodline anymore than what I've stated now. Some things could also have been since the eggs were practically her first laid, though they were good size already and not smaller than expected. I don't know. While batch #1 was incubating, we collected eggs for batch #2 and set the incubator again after the first set hatched.

This pretty much brings us up to now.

Since I like sharing pictures.... Here are a couple pictures I took of the pair about 2 days ago. The snow had actually melted and I was kicking the hen (who has been broody herself for about 4 weeks now) out of the nest and making her get a little fresh air, water, and feed.

Roo, and hen's tush. She's not too happy with me and wants back in the pen to her nest.

Hen.

Thank you for the offer for some eggs!! I will have to check with DH. I looked through your pictures, but didn't see any silkies (aside from your avatar)... but I didn't look really well either. I'm a bit pressed for time. I did however see the pictures of your little white goat!! Oh good gravy, he's a cutie!!! I'll have to post a couple pictures of our goat. They're so much fun!

I am sorry for your problems you are having with mini. Have you tried just a wee bit of prednisone? this will stop and brain swelling. I keep 5 my tabs from my vet around for wyre neck that occasionally happens in silkies when someone accidently pecks the head of another. Also give him pedialyte by syringe 3xs a day. Just a wee bit since he is small along with the b vit.

thank you how funky for the info on the medicated chick starter. I will never use it again!.

Well, my 2nd batch of silkie chicks hatched yesterday. I had 3 out of 5 eggs hatch and they are BEAUTIFUL! No leg weakness/issues in these chicks, no runts, nothing but cute little fluff balls. I honestly think the paper towel in my incubator during the last hatch is what contributed to their slipped tendons and splayed legs. This time I used rubber grip shelf liner, and their legs didn't slip out from under them at all.

I have started these chicks directly on non-medicated starter feed. Hopefully they will grow and develop healthy, and reassure me that the issues with the other chicks were not genetic.
fl.gif

An update on Mini... he is still flicking his head. That hasn't stopped.
idunno.gif

In the meantime, until I know more... you all may as well enjoy a picture of the newest little puff balls.

Back
Top Bottom