1 week old treats?

JennaPonraj

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 22, 2012
Tacoma, Wa
Hi! I was wondering what you can feed to ur chicks at 1 week old beside water, and starter feed. Can I feed them grit, and worms, and salad? I know at 3 weeks people start to feed them fruit and yogurt, and I know whatever you feed them the main part of their diet has to be the starter feed though.
Thanks for your help!

Really try to limit the treats they get. Small amounts are ok. If they have access to bare dirt they will find grit on their own. It is necessary if they eat solids other than their starter. Mine like raw oatmeal and raisins most of all. There is a post some where that tells what not to give them. Can't find it right now. Mealworms are popular as a treat also. Mine don't care much for the dried ones. All the thngs you mentioned would be good. Stay away from citrus fruit. They will love to go outside and scratch and act like little chickens chasing bugs and eating grass. Mama hen would have them out exploring at that age. Just keep it supervised.

For a treat, I provide my baby chicks boiled eggs, very finely crushed up.

Of course, I do NOT give them the egg shells. They are way too young for crushed egg shells.

But you can give baby chicks very finely crushed up boiled eggs (or very finely cut up scrambled eggs) from day 1 onward. And baby chicks prefer boiled eggs to commercial starter feed anyday.

Back
Top Bottom