1-week old White Crested Polish baby

nekomi

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 24, 2008
Ohio
Just had to post these two pics I took today of "Freebie", my White-Crested Black Polish baby I brought home yesterday.
smile.png

I drove down to Meyer Hatchery to pick up my chick order, and noticed they had a box of surplus chicks sitting in the corner. Who can resist the surplus chickies!?
smile.png
I saw a little Polish running around inside and just had to add her to my box. She is a week older than all my other babies, but they all get along great.

Turns out they forgot to charge me for her, hence the name. I didn't realize until I checked my receipt after driving an hour back home! When I go to pick up my other Polish on April 6, I'll just tell them what happened and ask them to charge me for her then.
smile.png

Anyway, here she is! And before anyone asks - the cat in the photo is the sweetest, most mellow cat I've ever met. He loves the little chicks and hasn't shown the slightest inclination that he views them as prey. Actually, he's a little afraid of them and tries to "talk" to them with cat body language (turns his head away, circles away slowly from them if they get too fiesty, sniffs the ground and blinks slowly at them).
smile.png

chick.jpg

bigboy_freebie.jpg

Thanks for the compliment!
big_smile.png
The crips pics are a combination of my camera (Canon Powershot G6), good lighting at the time, and learning how to focus the lens properly.
smile.png
I'm glad you liked them! I can't wait to post more of the other babies tomorrow, and a pic of their brooder too.

PolishPrincess, I can completely understand!!! I'm picking up the Polish I ordered on April 6th. I ordered 2 each of Silver Laced and Buff Laced. This little White-Crested was a nice surprise when I picked up the other chicks yesterday (Black Stars, White Leghorns, Barred Rocks, Ameracaunas, and one little White Sultan).

Quote:
I'm dying for these crested beauties. I ordered 1 Gold laced, 1 Silver laced, 1 Buff laced Polish, 1 Sultan, and 1 Spitz. (Those are the crested, anyway.) Can you post a quick pic of the Sultan? I've never ordered from Meyer's before.

Also, just a quick question, when I ordered I said I only wanted 8 day-old-pullets. I ordered with the heating pack. They aren't going to stick in extra packing peanuts anyway, right? I didn't specify that I was againt the packing peanuts thing and the lady on the phone didn't say anything abou them. Do you know if I should be worried? Should I shoot them an email?

Sure! I'll get you a pic of the Sultan in a few minutes!
big_smile.png
She is awfully cute, but a lot smaller than the other chicks.

Hmm... I'm not sure about the packing peanuts thing, since I am local to Meyer I picked up my babies. But I've found the staff to be super friendly and helpful, so I'm sure if you call them, they can clear things up for you!!

I can't wait to see pics when yours arrive!!!

Last edited:
OK, here are the pics of the Sultan. She had a bit of pasty butt this morning so her tail feathers are still a little discolored.

sultan1.jpg

sultan2.jpg

sultan3.jpg

Isn't she cute? She sure stands with her feet wide apart, though... is that just because she has extra toes (breed trait) or are there some splayed legs going on?

Back
Top Bottom