1 week to hatch date; now what?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chicksak, Nov 10, 2013.

1. chicksak

chicksak Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2013
    Wasilla, AK
    We had a hen go broody and decided to put a dozen eggs under her. We are one week away from a hopefully successful hatch! Its getting really cold out though and thinking that we should bring her and her eggs into a more temperature controlled environment. If we do get chicks in the next week I am note sure they will stay warm enough. Could this move stress momma out? I may be able to section part of the coop off and put in a second heat lamp but still not sure that will be warm enough. Late night we dipped into the 20's and the day didn't warm up above freezing. Any advise would be great.
    Thanks, Christina

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    As long as the hen is sitting in a cozy nest she and her eggs will be fine. I've had hens hatch eggs out in unheated coops in the middle of winter and raise their chicks out there with no problems. Best of luck with your hatch!

3. Quail lover 100

Quail lover 100 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2013
    I think you should take her in to the house for the night time and when the chicks hatch take her and the chicks outside and pit a heat lamp in the coop!
    Good luck-and happy hatch!

4. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I would leave her, sometimes they do not adjust to a new spot, but be ready to brood in house after they hatch. take out the chicks one by one after they hatch. I have chicks in the house and only have mom on them at night in covered box., because moms want to walk around with their chicks if it is day and might try and get out of a broody box. it they are trying to leap out of a box they would step on chicks.

5. chicksak

Apr 25, 2013
    Wasilla, AK
    Thanks everyone. It warmed up into the 40's today, so will definitely leave her be. I am ready to brood in the house but if the weather warms then I am going to reconfigure an area in the coop to keep them warm and safe. Also going to candle today and see what is going on.

6. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I miss guessed the hatch day on my eggs I was a week off. my temps are about the same outside so I put my eggs under a broody- they will probably hatch some time around when yours does.

7. chicksak

Apr 25, 2013
    Wasilla, AK
    Good Luck and keep me posted. We candled Sunday night and from what we saw compared to pictures on the web we guess we are between 13-15 days. Hope our lady can keep them warm enough this week and when they first hatch!

8. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I brought the eggs in and candled veiny and movement.

9. chicksak

Apr 25, 2013
    Wasilla, AK
    How exciting!
    We added another heat lamp closer to her today as our temperatures have dropped. She seems much happier being that little bit warmer!

10. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    today I candled and they are just starting to go into the air cell so maybe friday?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by