1 wk old chick, heavy open mouth breathing, leaning to side with leg out, lays down frequently

The chick probably was suffering from shipping stress. Not Mareks nor Newcastles. I would treat with SaveAChick electrolytes or give a few drops of Poultry NutriDrench while also dipping it’s beak into water. Did she make it?

The chick probably was suffering from shipping stress. Not Mareks nor Newcastles. I would treat with SaveAChick electrolytes or give a few drops of Poultry NutriDrench while also dipping it’s beak into water. Did she make it?
I will look into those things. I didn't get her in the mail, I bought her directly from a hatchery and drove her home with 2 other chicks. She is alive but hasn't changed at all. No worse but no better yet.

Separate her from the others immediately. I just lost 65 of my chickens in 6 days.from Newcastle Disease
I'm very sorry to hear about the loss of your chickens. That is a lot!

Thank you for informing me of this disease. She doesn't really show many symptoms of what you would expect from this. I'll look into this more.

I also have been giving them Chick Boost which is very similar to Save A Chick Electrolytes but no difference.

Chicks who come from hatcheries usually also get shipped from hatcheries. I have seen some here in the past who have sat around in post offices for most of the day before being delivered. When you get them home, it is always a gfo thing to get them drinking and giving them electrolytes for a day or so certainly will not harm them.

Hi I'm relying because I'm having a similar problem with my chick.

1) What type of bird: I can't specify

2) The Behavior: laying down frequently and eating and drinking regularly.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Since he was born on march 4.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. A little bleeding and a seem of injury he has his leg curled and doesn't move that much but still does.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. No

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. She eats and drinks the starter chick feed, and drink his water nice and regularly

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. I think it is normal. No blood

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? I have not tried anything because I don't know what to do.

10) Describe the housing/bedding in use. I use fine pine shavings.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be happening? Thank you for any help you can give me.
Here is a picture
152056668044277230758.jpg

Chris510 - does the chick cry or evidence pain when you handle it? That looks like a dislocation or broken pelvis to me, both of which are excruciatingly painful. Chickens are tough as can be but if that's what it is you're being merciful putting it down.

If it screams when you handle it, or if you hold it up to your ear and hear crepitus (creaking, scraping) from its bones, that's unfortunately what you're dealing with.

Without seeing it move and without seeing its setup, that could also be spraddle leg. If it's possible that it slipped and tore some ligaments that could be your issue. If it's not too bad a case and it hasn't gone on for long it's *possible* to help them. I"ve not yet been successful with it but other people have. If spraddle leg is the issue and they don't get their feet under them, again you're being merciful putting them down.

If it is getting around OK and it's just kind of a deformation of her toes, then you can try splinting its foot or can just let it go. One of my meat birds had a deformed foot, I lost track of it in the flock (it was in with 99 friends), it grew up just fine and lived a good life until it had one bad day in the processor.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom