1 Y/O hen hasn't laid in 7 months.

SarahLadd

Songster
Jun 23, 2017
Minneapolis, MN
She would be very ill.

Have you checked her pelvic points...and just her abdomen in general for any swelling?
Lavender can have some oddities(from what I've read) maybe due to the breeding that makes them lavender.
I'd love to do this, but I'm not sure how to determine swelling. She's just so big compared to my other two birds, the girls that are laying are able to fly from the ground to my arm no problem, the lavender orp can barely get lift to climb stairs. Would it feel differently? Spongier, softer, more firm? Cause pain? What do I feel for?

Edit: I tried getting a picture of her vent area, but it's really hard to hold bird, hold feathers apart, hold giant android phone to take picture. I will have to wait until I have extra hands.
Compared to my birds that ARE laying, her vent is larger, wider, redder, drier on the outside. Birds that are laying have skin that looks more supple and soft and pale.

Last edited:

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium member
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
I'd love to do this, but I'm not sure how to determine swelling. She's just so big compared to my other two birds, the girls that are laying are able to fly from the ground to my arm no problem, the lavender orp can barely get lift to climb stairs. Would it feel differently? Spongier, softer, more firm? Cause pain? What do I feel for?
This going to sound perverted, but put your hand between her legs and feel her belly from just below vent up to breast bone and thigh to thigh. Compare to other birds, tho they may differ because of breed and over all size. You're feeling for lumps or swelling either hard or squishy like a water balloon.

Edit: I tried getting a picture of her vent area, but it's really hard to hold bird, hold feathers apart, hold giant android phone to take picture. I will have to wait until I have extra hands.
Compared to my birds that ARE laying, her vent is larger, wider, redder, drier on the outside. Birds that are laying have skin that looks more supple and soft and pale.
Pics aren't really needed, you looking and comparing to the other birds can tell you a lot. Interesting that hers is large and red...the drier makes sense tho for a non-laying bird.

You may just have an oddball/dud/lemon.

SarahLadd

Songster
Jun 23, 2017
Minneapolis, MN
I just can't feel anything that feels different compared to the other two birds. I'm kinda sad. I had a really cool thing going with pink eggs, spotty eggs and blue eggs. :(

Interesting thing to note though, when I go to pick up my laying birds they squat. The orpington does not squat anymore when I go to grab her. Does this mean things?

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium member
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
I just can't feel anything that feels different compared to the other two birds. I'm kinda sad. I had a really cool thing going with pink eggs, spotty eggs and blue eggs. :(

Interesting thing to note though, when I go to pick up my laying birds they squat. The orpington does not squat anymore when I go to grab her. Does this mean things?
Squatting is most often submitting to be mated, some will do it for a human when no cock/erel is present...some won't, even if laying.
<shrugs> may forever be a mystery.

rosemarythyme

Free Ranging
Jul 3, 2016
Pac NW
My Coop
My Coop
Starting to sound like she's just a lemon. Has this bird ever had other health issues in the past?

I have a true dud that laid about 6 eggs and then quit. I was sure she was eggbound (droopy big abdomen, would sit on nest boxes like she was laying but never produce) and figured I'd be putting her down soon... but that was 6 months ago and she's still trucking along like normal (well, normal for her). She has deformed feet and some neurological issues (can't walk in straight lines, can't really balance, so she sort of spins and stumbles to get around) and then had wry neck... but she's a pretty active adult and even pretty high on the pecking order, so I let her be.

SarahLadd

Songster
Jun 23, 2017
Minneapolis, MN
Wow.
Starting to sound like she's just a lemon. Has this bird ever had other health issues in the past?

I have a true dud that laid about 6 eggs and then quit. I was sure she was eggbound (droopy big abdomen, would sit on nest boxes like she was laying but never produce) and figured I'd be putting her down soon... but that was 6 months ago and she's still trucking along like normal (well, normal for her). She has deformed feet and some neurological issues (can't walk in straight lines, can't really balance, so she sort of spins and stumbles to get around) and then had wry neck... but she's a pretty active adult and even pretty high on the pecking order, so I let her be.
Nope, she's lived a perfectly healthy happy existence from the moment she was cuddled and loved into my yard.

Dyna1999

Chirping
Oct 28, 2019
I have an Easter Egger who hasn’t laid for several months now! She is on the bottom of the pecking chain. Hoping she move up once the younger ones find out where they are! Can’t wait to find a blue egg again!

Latest posts

Top Bottom