1 year old hen- Exactly what breed?

Thank you! She’s a sweetheart! I call her Luna. Funny- Langshans are normally heads of flocks, In mine she is the bottom of my 3 hen flock. Under 2 sweet little buff Orpingtons!

I’ve been meaning to do this for a while, I’m not perfectly sure what breed this not-so-little girl is. Her seller told me she was a Black Copper Maran, but as she grew up there was no copper coloring. There still isn’t, and now that she lays, her eggs are not as dark as a Maran. I think she looks like an Australorp, except for her feathered feet. Mixed breed?

Do you have pics of her as a chick? When it comes to breeding marans there is a lot of work in mating pairs to keep egg color dark as it will lighten with generations. Hens can have varying amounts of copper and eye color is also a challenge to keep if one of the parents is off. She looks to have the back and body of a marans to me but it's hard to tell as she's pecking. I thought langshans had a short back and high tail but not a breed I work with. Chick pics would help. Marans look like little penguins although my nicest looking one was almost all black. 1 of my pullets has beautiful copper - the other shoes none yet. Not an easy breed to keep all things going for ya.

Do you have pics of her as a chick? When it comes to breeding marans there is a lot of work in mating pairs to keep egg color dark as it will lighten with generations. Hens can have varying amounts of copper and eye color is also a challenge to keep if one of the parents is off. She looks to have the back and body of a marans to me but it's hard to tell as she's pecking. I thought langshans had a short back and high tail but not a breed I work with. Chick pics would help. Marans look like little penguins although my nicest looking one was almost all black. 1 of my pullets has beautiful copper - the other shoes none yet. Not an easy breed to keep all things going for ya.
Thank you for the information, I got her as a 2 month old chick. I don’t have loads of pictures. I’ll give the best I have.

Back
Top Bottom