1 year old Hen has IBV..what can I do for her?

Well, $300.00 later and I won't have the diagnosis for about a week. All that she said was "upper respiratory" No kidding! lol The vet gave her subcutaneous fluids as she was dehydrated. She cleaned up her eyes and nose with a warm compress, took a culture at my insistance.

She gave me Meloxicam by mouth. (An antibiotic). Bactrim by mouth 2X day and Ciprofloxacin for her eyes. The swelling in her eyes had actually gone down when I got home, so I think she is (very optimistically here) in the clear. I have some Opthalmic eye ointment left over from the dogs and it is not expired so I will use it on the rest of the hens.

She refused to give me enough of anything for all twenty of the girls or the Turkey so I went ahead and made up the Tylan that arrived this afternoon and put it in their waterers.

There is MUCH congestion in the hen house. I guess that I will treat them the best way that I can and hope for the best.

The vet wanted me to bring her back in three days to which I said no.

Thank you to all for your advice

Best wishes to you.

$300? That's highway robbery! Are they going to call you with the results regarding the diagnosis and culture? I hope so for what they charged you. Anyway, can you let us know what the results are? As far as not giving you enough meds for all your chickens and if the tylan doesnt work, you might want to check First State Vet Supply or jeffers livestock both online. Also, sometimes ebay has meds you can purchase there as well. Thanks again.

Quote:
I suppose if you had a fraction of knowledge of chicken diseases, you would definitely know what IBV was, because this is a common one. If I were you, I would vaccinate my chcikens from this. It is quite nasty...

Completely unnecessary and uncalled for...most do not have a need to know about a disease until they have a sick bird...Sonoran Silkies has healthy stock so why would becoming an avian vet dictionary be necessary?

Last edited:
Quote:
I suppose if you had a fraction of knowledge of chicken diseases, you would definitely know what IBV was, because this is a common one. If I were you, I would vaccinate my chcikens from this. It is quite nasty...

Completely unnecessary and uncalled for...most do not have a need to know about a disease until they have a sick bird...Sonoran Silkies has healthy stock so why would becoming an avian vet dictionary be necessary?

Getawin....ABSOLUTELY NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS. If you had read, this issue has already been settled.

Life is too short to keep your nose in other peoples business..........You have much too much time on your hands. and BTW that's "by the way"... it was not replied to Sonoran it was replied to another person who stuck in THEIR nose!

Get over it already.

Last edited:
Quote:
Highway robbery is right, Dawg! I almost fell on the floor.. I will certainly share the results. :)

Thanks for the tips!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom