1 year old limping BCM hen with yellow poop - please help!

JuliaRose

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 19, 2016
I have a one year old Black Copper Marans hen who has been acting "off" for a few weeks, with signs of improvement and then regresses a bit. She's shown all these symptoms separately - puffed up, listless, separating from the flock, roosting way earlier than necessary, head flipping (like she's dizzy, can't focus), but now all those symptoms are gone and she is limping, with very yellow poop (but not diarrhea), and her breast bone is prominent. No other chicken (we have a dozen layers) is showing these symptoms but several do have mucky bottoms.

She's interested in food and eats like normal, competes for food like everyone (there's plenty of food, just typical chicken behavior), and is hanging and foraging with the flock. She doesn't have a mucky butt/vent feathers, but has a little yellow poop at the opening of her vent so I am positive the poop is hers.

We feed them moistened Scratch and Peck Layer feed with BOSS sprinkled on top. Any treats we give them are whole foods based, nothing rotten or processed.

We have been trying natural remedies like chopped fresh garlic in their feed, Strike III in their feed, ACV in their water, Hen Boost in their water. I have checked her all over for signs of trauma and mites several times. I have also given baths to a few of the chickens with really poopy butts, but it never goes away completely.

Our chickens have their own small coop and grassy run, and easy access to our goat area with loads more space and cover. Their coop has orchards grass hay (goat's feed waste) and lime down for their droppings. They often fly out of their fence and free range our wood chips and various grassy areas which we don't mind a whole lot about.

I like to treat my animals as naturally as possible, but will bring out the big guns of chemical dewormers if needed. Not sure how to deduce what is going on with my flock and which one to use.

Attachments

• 729AAB61-95D2-441F-9413-0F71E9D5B362_1_102_o.jpeg
    729AAB61-95D2-441F-9413-0F71E9D5B362_1_102_o.jpeg
    397.7 KB · Views: 18
acting "off" for a few weeks, with signs of improvement and then regresses a bit. She's shown all these symptoms separately - puffed up, listless, separating from the flock, roosting way earlier than necessary, head flipping (like she's dizzy, can't focus), but now all those symptoms are gone and she is limping, with very yellow poop (but not diarrhea), and her breast bone is prominent.
Thank you for all the information - only thing missing is if she's laying eggs?

Feel her abdomen below the vent between her legs for swelling/bloat/fluid. Often symptoms you are seeing can be due to reproductive issues like EYP, cancer, Salpingitis, etc. I would also check for lice/mites and inside her ears to make sure they are clear.

Getting a fecal float from your vet would tell you whether or not you need to use a de-wormer. If worms are detected, then treating with Fenbendazole (Safeguard or Valbazen) would be a good idea.

Yellow poop like that could be from the liver. Some birds develop fatty liver disease so that's something to consider and if you find that's an issue, then evaluate diet.

I agree with @Wyorp Rock. There could be a reproductive disorder, ascites, or fatty liver disease. All of those are common, and can cause those yellow urates that are coloring her droppings. But they are a bit rare in one so young. When she limps, does she put weight on the bad leg or does she hold it up? Or does she walk with difficulty or like a duck? I would slack off on the sunflower seeds, and offer some moist chicken feed, and add a little scrambled egg or tuna for protein.

She has been laying but very inconsistently (which we have found to be the case with most of our younger birds from the start of our 4 year flock). We also have an egg eater in our flock so sometimes we just have no idea how many eggs were laid (or not).

When she limps, she puts a little weight on it. And when she stands, both feet are on the ground. She doesn't walk straddled or like a duck.

I'm heading out to feed now and still check her abdomen and again for lice/mites.

I will pull back on the BOSS and cook up some eggs. Can everyone have some of this, or should I confine the eggs/tuna to just her?

When she was a pullet we had a hard time keeping her limited to the starter and grower feed, and she would go with her mother to eat the layer ration. Do you think that damaged her liver having so much calcium so early? I agree, it's odd to have such a young bird with this type of ailment. If it's liver disease or reproductive disorder, it isn't contagious to the rest of the flock, correct?

Thank you both so much for your time!

Back
Top Bottom