1 year old never laid an egg

Anita Scott

Songster
5 Years
May 21, 2017
Thornfield, MO
I have a 1 year old that is a cross of Isa Brown and Copper Marans. The older girls pick on her a bit. She has a balanced diet of layers and high protein scratch.
I put trail cams in my coop since I had egg eaters and wanted to separate them from the girls. I noticed this one girl keeps going in, checking each box and has never laid an egg. All the other chickens are now laying. She is a beautiful bird, but not laying. She is a bit heavier like her mother, the ISA Brown. Her mother laid big beautiful eggs. I know it is a hen, since she keeps getting bred

Attachments

• IMG_20220609_124010764~2.jpg
    IMG_20220609_124010764~2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 28
for how long has she been checking out the nest boxes, and have the roo(s) been mating her? It may be imminent and you just need a little more patience... or she may be a false layer.

for how long has she been checking out the nest boxes, and have the roo(s) been mating her? It may be imminent and you just need a little more patience... or she may be a false layer.
I have seen her checking out the boxes since spring. Also she has been getting bred since April. I wasn't sure if she was a hen or roo until I caught them breeding her. Her markings are definitely a cross between the ISA and the marans. I have another one that was a cross and she lays big eggs, but has already gone broody.

Back
Top Bottom