1 Yr Old Black Copper Maran Hen Laying 2 Eggs

mertlemae

In the Brooder
Jun 25, 2015
Dear Hen Keepers,

Hi! My name is Cynthia and my husband and I have been keeping hens for 2 yrs now in Wisconsin. My one year old Black Copper Maran Hen, Stavi, will skip a day, then the following day lay 2 eggs about 1 or 2 hours apart. The rough mottled brown looking egg is laid first (which is almost always laid in the chicken run or garden) the second egg that is "pretty" is always broken and laid in the nest box. Our other 3 hens don't have this problem...and they are all different breeds. Our girls free range in my large vegetable garden, receive oyster shell, grit and a natural layer feed. So, this is a head scratcher for me... this has been going on since early spring. Then last week she started to lay normal pretty eggs daily now back to this 2 egg in less than 24 hrs.

Has anyone else experienced this or know what's causing her to do this?

Thank you,

Cynthia

I would assume it's her thing, and there's nothing you can do for he anyways. Hopefully it straightens out in her second season.

Your hen has a kink in her assembly line. Instead of a normal 25 hour egg cycle, she's releasing her yolks too closely together.

She's young, and so far it's probably not causing her any problems other than some damaged eggs. However, she bears watching for signs of egg binding in the future.

I've had a few hens do this, and they all had laying problems. I doubt anything can be done about it. It's probably genetic.

Back
Top Bottom