1 yr. old Pet Quail Not Feeling Well - PLEASE READ!

Please do not add ACV or garlic to his water. The ACV is likely harmless, but garlic is toxic to many species of birds.

From what I have read, the amprolium is a good choice. I have been fortunate enough not to have experienced disease in my covey so far. 🤞

I agree with @Nabiki , ACV will do nothing for the treatment of coccidosis, and as she stated, garlic is toxic to many birds.

If you have a competent avian vet, I would arrange a visit. We're trying to help but we're just 'grasping at straws' as far as what this ailment could be, a vet can do tests and find out what's going on.
If that's not an option, I would try to find some Monensin or a sulfadimidine or possibly some Oxytetracycline for treatment. All of these are by script from a vet.

All of these anticoccidial drugs have been used for the last 40 or so years and the various strains of Eimeridae have built up a resistance to the various drugs used in treatment.

Quail in general, are pretty 'resistant' to getting coccidosis....but they can. The best way to not have an outbreak is by biosecurity protocols. Isolation and good sanitation practices are imperative with gamebirds.

Sorry, not much help....I've actually been very lucky in that I haven't had to deal with coccidosis in any of my birds.

So I've only been raising quail( countrix and buttons) for about two years .I've never given them any antibiotics or electrolytes...I feed them only medicated chick stater..and on occasion wild bird mix (like a treat) maybe once a month. I can't afford to purchase game bird food. I am NOT A VET, only a fellow bird lover. Maybe the baytril and the "greens" are a lil 2 much for his tiny stomach. I mean if we all think about it ..Qual in the "wild" would only consume natural plants/herbs hoping to make them better. They wouldn't sip antibiotics from a syringe or get a shot from time to time.i also don't mix them with any other birds besides their hatchlings until they are about a month old. I also do not merge them with chickens, turkeys, ducks, or any other domesticated poultry. .

So I've only been raising quail( countrix and buttons) for about two years .I've never given them any antibiotics or electrolytes...I feed them only medicated chick stater..and on occasion wild bird mix (like a treat) maybe once a month. I can't afford to purchase game bird food. I am NOT A VET, only a fellow bird lover. Maybe the baytril and the "greens" are a lil 2 much for his tiny stomach. I mean if we all think about it ..Qual in the "wild" would only consume natural plants/herbs hoping to make them better. They wouldn't sip antibiotics from a syringe or get a shot from time to time.i also don't mix them with any other birds besides their hatchlings until they are about a month old. I also do not merge them with chickens, turkeys, ducks, or any other domesticated poultry. .
Hope Gumdrop gets better very soon. He is a BEAUTIFUL bird.

Back
Top Bottom