10-11 month Rooster with a hurt leg

He stood in the shower this morning for a little while which was an improvement. I took him outside again (bc it has warmed up) but he sits down. He hasn’t crowed since Saturday morning.
Yes, it is VetRX (sorry, I was mistaken).
You mentioned only giving him Nutri-Drench for now. How many times a day can I give it?
Also, how do I give him aspirin & B complex? Just crumble it up & put it in his mouth? I’ve never done this before.
I haven’t checked his legs today but will. I have 2 people in the house with a stomach virus 😩 thank you for your help

Attachments

• 61AF84F7-A086-435C-85AD-4C22FCF9058E.jpeg
    61AF84F7-A086-435C-85AD-4C22FCF9058E.jpeg
    420.5 KB · Views: 1
Photos of the hen?
How long ago did you get rid of the other rooster?
This rooster has been beat up in a fight. Get some photos of his legs and feet.

Work on hydrating him. Offer some feed once he's drinking.
Look him over for any wounds.

The hen you got - does she have any lice/mites, any signs of illness like coughing/sneezing?
I got rid of the other rooster last Tuesday bc the Rhode Island Red was fighting him. Smokey, (Domenecker) had a good appetite this morning & has been drinking Knox-Allxxx in his water. His stool has been runny up until this morning (it was firm through out the night). Now that I have him outside, his stool is not firm again 😩. He sits by a brick wall in the sun while outside.
The Buff Orpington, (our new chick for Smokey) is a pretty little chick & started laying the next day after she was moved here.

I gave him the Flock Raiser crumbles, meal worms & Purina Scratch Grains.
Now, I have been giving him cracked corn, crumbles & the PetRX in his water.

drinking Knox-Allxxx
What is Knox-Allxxx? What is PetRx??
Please post some photos of the products you are giving!

Focus on him eating the crumbles. Bits of egg can be given to entice him. If he's having trouble reaching the feed on the floor, raise it up.

Check to make sure he has no lice/mites and that his crop is emptying overnight.

You got rid of the other rooster on Tues, when did he get sick? What day?

What is Knox-Allxxx? What is PetRx??
Please post some photos of the products you are giving!

Focus on him eating the crumbles. Bits of egg can be given to entice him. If he's having trouble reaching the feed on the floor, raise it up.

Check to make sure he has no lice/mites and that his crop is emptying overnight.

You got rid of the other rooster on Tues, when did he get sick? What day?
I will give him a boiled egg.
I noticed him standing on one foot a couple of days before the RIRed was given away but he wasn’t at the point to where he couldn’t stand on it. This may have happened from the RIR?
RIR gone Tues & Wednesday I noticed Smokey squatting mostly on Wednesday.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    391 KB · Views: 1
I have no idea what the Knox All is, does it have an ingredient list?

I would re-inspect his legs/feet for injury or bumblefoot (bottom of feet too). Make sure his crop is emptying. Look for lice/mites.
If he was beaten but good he may have lost courage, roosters can go downhill.
Keep him eating/drinking. Hopefully he will turn right again.

I have no idea what the Knox All is, does it have an ingredient list?

I would re-inspect his legs/feet for injury or bumblefoot (bottom of feet too). Make sure his crop is emptying. Look for lice/mites.
If he was beaten but good he may have lost courage, roosters can go downhill.
Keep him eating/drinking. Hopefully he will turn right again.
Knox-All xxx has: Magnesium Sulphate, Calcium, Hydroxide, Sulphur Sublimatum, Venetian red, Nicotine, Inert ingredients 94.99%
I will check his legs again tomorrow. thank you for trying to help

Personally, I would not give the Knox All, I would provide him with fresh plain water and direct dose him once a day with the Poultry Nutri-Drench at a rate of 1cc per 3 pounds of weight.

I have had this several times.First you need to get Mobic 2x day,week.No jumping in coop,put somewhere else.It will get worse,hip joint usually.Mine all healed per entry 2-3 weeks.No jumping at all.
Dont put alone,must be with friend or able to see others.
mobic From vet or dog cat arthritis people might have.
mobic is 3-5 grams day.crushed tablespoon water,use plastic dropper give one drop slowly don’t choke ,especially first time,then they learn.Make it strong ,1/2 inch of dropper is good,2x day.Will stop limping few days.Ask farmer,may have some.you’ll need enough few weeks,in case of return.
my vet gave abx few days same time,in case of infection,penicillin,tylosin,in water with dropper is ok.
don’t put meds drinking water,needs to be exact to work.
please treat him,he’ll be better.

Last edited:
Thank you & everyone for your advice but Smokey is now without any pain. I tell my granddaughter that he is healed now in rooster heaven & crowing again ❤️. Feb 3rd we took him back to the vet & was told that it was neuralgia & that he wouldn’t get any better. He was on an antibiotic & a steroid for 9 days & after he finished the meds he once again couldn’t use his right foot & couldn’t even stand anymore. I would set him outside in the sun during the day & put him in my bathtub in the evening. I go in the bathroom now expecting to see the little fellow & we sure miss him but he is better off now with no pain.

Back
Top Bottom