10-20 layers, Large Fowl how big of a run do they need?

CrazyFowlFreak

Pine Hill Farm
11 Years
Apr 24, 2009
WV
They have an 8X6ft. coop that has a 6ft. interior with a 4 ft. peak. How big should DH make the run for them? I have 13 lf layers that will go in there now, and would like to add a few more, maybe no more than 6. Would that work? Help!
lol.png

You need 4-5 sq ft per bird, so right now you are at/over your limit on indoor space if they will be spending any amount of time locked inside. I think I have heard 25 sq ft per bird for the outside run space, so you would need to have your run pretty big.

I agree is sounds like you are at or slightly above coop capacity for the amount of birds you currently have. However, I thought 10 sq ft. per chicken was an acceptable goal for the run? If not, I'm going to have to rethink my run plans.

I'm with awesomefowl. Bigger is better, but make sure it's covered with mesh or wire. I free-range my 9 girls, but sometimes I have to leave them in the run some or even all day. They have about 120 sq feet, so that's obviously more than 10 sq feet per bird. Don't forget shade, too - that's crucial - and I have "sand pits" where they can take their dust baths. I also have a couple of outside perches in the run for them.

10 sq. ft. per LF bird is the minimum that's generally quoted here on BYC for run space. As others have said, more is better. However, you're already pretty full in your housing, as 4 sq. ft. is the minimum recommended inside. You won't notice how packed things are through the nice seasons. But come winter (if you're in an area that gets winters), you WILL notice overcrowding.

Quote:
IMO this is the best answer. I read over and over of problems with pecking, feather picking and worse in spite of the birds having the recommended 4/10 sq ft, particularly, as someone said, in snow areas. And, it takes a whole lot more than 10 sq ft of run per bird to avoid having the area turned into a moonscape in no time. Outside space is a lot less valuable to them if there is little to forage, though it is still valuable.

I have a 40x20 run for my chickens and I feel like this is big enough for them. This does not include their coop, just ground. At the moment, I have 21 but will cut it down to 15 this summer.

As far as your coop goes, I don't know. Sounds tight but without pics, who can say. If you have plenty of roost bars for everyone, good ventilation,etc. I think you could make it work. Mine only spend 8 hrs in their coop, when I let them out in the morning they are all sitting where they were at when I shut them up that night. I still don't understand why they need so much room when they only go in to sleep!

Last edited:
LAF! I have a little door near the top where I can peak in during the evening to see what is going on. It's amazing how much jockeying for postion goes on, up and down, back and forth, until they finally settle in. I might look into a chicken cam...

Back
Top Bottom