10.5 week EEs

You've been certain all along, and you're probably right. May I ask what confirms it for you? Colouring? Comb colour? Thank you :) I've had roo after roo alllll year long. But I think I'll be saddest about these two.
Well, the white has two much comb for a ten week old pullet, despite it being pale.
And same with the brown/black, though not as much. And because it has a black chest, it cannot be female.
Sorry.

Well, the white has two much comb for a ten week old pullet, despite it being pale.
And same with the brown/black, though not as much. And because it has a black chest, it cannot be female.
Sorry.
Intrigued! I've not heard the black chest
Sorry.
Thank you! I'm intrigued by the black chest bit, and can't find any more information on it? Do you have any resources for me?? I've loved being able to sex some of my day old Ameraucana/chocolate cuckoo orpington crosses based on their spots/barring, so any other sexing tips are much appreciated!
00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20201229123359098_COVER.jpg

Black chest is a very accurate sexing method. This stands for many of the brown-ish partridge or wild types. Here it is mentioned in sexing Partridge Silkies. Here is another picture of Red Jungle Fowl (wild type) from the internet showing the sexual dimorphism of breast color. Obviously in black varieties this doesn't stand, but in many like wheaten, BBR, and even silver pencilled this works. https://silkie.org/partridge-silkie-chickens.html
C2EC53D8-3A7E-496D-B47A-B6557D12219B.jpeg

@TheOddOneOut Are these their saddle feathers coming in now? I'm trying to keep a super close eye on them so I can be a better judge in the future! Thanks for your help! Also, any idea what's with the white guy's random dark brown spot?! Super curious to see how he'll grow out, but probably won't be keeping him 😥
00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20210104121911391_COVER.jpg
00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20210104121932328.jpg
00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20210104122015721_COVER.jpg
00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20210104121538505_COVER.jpg

@TheOddOneOut Are these their saddle feathers coming in now? I'm trying to keep a super close eye on them so I can be a better judge in the future! Thanks for your help! Also, any idea what's with the white guy's random dark brown spot?! Super curious to see how he'll grow out, but probably won't be keeping him 😥
View attachment 2475722View attachment 2475723View attachment 2475725View attachment 2475726
I do not see visible saddles yet, no.

The brown spot will most likely molt away.

I started a thread on saddle feathers a couple weeks ago! Lots of good info and pictures to help you identify them when they start. I just had my first hatch and was learning to sex them too. I bet a search would find it quick. Good luck!

I do not see visible saddles yet, no.

The brown spot will most likely molt away.
Thank you! This is very humbling, having only two birds of the same gender! 🤣🤣 I kinda thought I was getting half decent at sexing! (I'm not denying that these guys are cockerels...I totally believe they are. I just think it's interesting that it's so much harder for me to tell without pullets to compare them to!

This is what I thought might be saddles, but too rounded I guess hey?
USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image--1077289688.jpeg

Thank you! This is very humbling, having only two birds of the same gender! 🤣🤣 I kinda thought I was getting half decent at sexing! (I'm not denying that these guys are cockerels...I totally believe they are. I just think it's interesting that it's so much harder for me to tell without pullets to compare them to!

This is what I thought might be saddles, but too rounded I guess hey?
View attachment 2475883
Yep, too round and dull.

You can try parting their feathers about 1-2" above the base of their tail and looking for bright shiny saddles. They may be starting to come in, just not visible.

00000IMG_00000_BURST20210102130048630_COVER.jpg

Yep, too round and dull.

You can try parting their feathers about 1-2" above the base of their tail and looking for bright shiny saddles. They may be starting to come in, just not visible.
Shoot, you were too quick for me 🤣🤣 I looked back at my picture and felt dumb ( I *know* that's not what saddles look like 🤣) so I came back to delete it quickly but my phone died and by the time it powered back up, you'd already commented! Lol. Oh well, teaching/learning moment!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom