10 day chick with protruding vent

chdjn

Hatching
9 Years
Nov 18, 2010
One of my chicks ~ 10 days old has had a problem with pasty butt. I cleaned it very well every night and for the last couple of days she has looked really good. She has always been the quite shy one out of the 10 that I have bought. tonight her vent is red, hard and protruded. the vent opening is there and it looks like poop is sitting right there - she just can't get it out. What should I do?

Thanks so much for your help

take a picture and post if you can, that always helps

I would soak it good with a warm paper towel, wipe of all the poo that you can - sometimes you have to pull a few of the downy feather out to make sure it stays clear. Then coat the little bum with vaseline so it doesn't paste up again. Sometimes pastie butt is a sign they are under too much heat or they aren't getting enough water so check both of these things too.

Usually by 10 days they can pluck it off themselves, it may just be irritated

What are you feeding and what kind of bedding do you have?

I'll get a picture up tomorrow am. they were all on paper towels for the first 5 days, then I switched over to the wood chips that came with the brooder pen set up I purchased from my pet chicken. This one was the last but the worst of the pasty butt but for the last night stayed nice and clean. tonight there is no pasty but and the vent is not prolapsed (yet). It did get hot in the room that I am keeping them in today and my partner turned off the heat lamp. (85 out side and 80 in the house - unseasonably warm.) I just loved her a while ago and she pooped in my hand - never thought I would get excited about poop in my hand LOL. I did put antibiotic on her but earlier and it doesn't look as red. I am feeding manna pro complete crumbles for chicks.

thank you - I think she is doing better this morning. this entire site has made me much more comfortable and relaxed with my first chicks - thank you all so much!

Back
Top Bottom