10 day old Barred Rock Genders?

I'd vote all females. A pure BR male would be double barred and there would be much more white in the Barring coming in on the wings, at least in my experience. Every breeder and hatchery breeds for different traights but generally speaking, there should be a noticeable difference in the Barring coming in when comparing males and females.
Yeah, if they are indeed BRs, all should be girls. All have single barring.

So, what do my chicks have? It is my understanding that there are other factors than the shape and size of the head spot to consider.
Yeah, I heard that, too, in the beginning, but the size of the spot on all their heads didn't make any difference. They are all girls in our flock. That's my sweet Onyx in the pic. Only boy I have is a RIR and he really started looking WAY different in about a week! He got some beautiful, caramelly colors right away, so he stood out from the other RIRs. All my Barred Rocks are about the same size, but a friend at church gave us a couple of his older girls and one of them is really tiny. But they're all girls. I would say that something would stand out in a boy on any type. Like really thick legs, compared to the others or if the comb gets WAY more defined really early on. Just never know, though...until you KNOW.

Back
Top Bottom