10 day old Barred Rock Genders?

Egzermalda

Chirping
Jan 26, 2023
I went to the feed store last week to pick up Black Rock Pullets and they had just sold out...BUT the Owner said there were 3 Barred Rocks in the "Assorted Pullet" Brooder. And indeed there were 3 chicks in the "Assorted Pullet" cage that appeared to be Barred Rocks. So I brought them home. (Along with 3 Brown Leghorn Pullets, cutest chicks ever). They are at ~10-11 days of age and one is not looking like the others? I am thinking #3 is looking roo like? #3 still has the dark wash down the front of the legs, but more outgoing and wings are much more visible barred, head spot is much bigger and diffuse (including the back of the neck). And tail feathers not developing as fast. Did I get a roo out of the Pullet cage? Top and side pic of each chick #s 1-3. Any BR expert sexers out there that can help me out?

Attachments

• BR1Side.jpg
    BR1Side.jpg
    339.9 KB · Views: 82
  • BR1Top.jpg
    BR1Top.jpg
    370.7 KB · Views: 43
  • BR2Side.jpg
    BR2Side.jpg
    329.5 KB · Views: 43
  • BR2Top.jpg
    BR2Top.jpg
    350.3 KB · Views: 44
  • BR3Side.jpg
    BR3Side.jpg
    360.8 KB · Views: 44
  • BR3Top.jpg
    BR3Top.jpg
    370.5 KB · Views: 47
The most accurate method I know of for Barred Rocks is to look at their feet. Males will have solid yellow feet, females will have yellow feet with thin dark stripes going down each toe.
That is what I have heard too. But that is what is weird about chick #3. It has the dark lines/wash down the front of the legs, just like the other two. But everything else is pointing to cockerel (comb, barring, head spot, feathering, size, attitude).

I am no expert.

I would vote cockerel just as a fun guess ! But it’ll be easier to see once the chick is more feathered in. I was pretty worried about one of my barred rocks, but she has just always had a bigger comb (it kinda leans to one side now).

Since males are double barred it’ll be a lot lighter in color and have more defined bars, so I would guess cockerel for #3.

I went to the feed store last week to pick up Black Rock Pullets and they had just sold out...BUT the Owner said there were 3 Barred Rocks in the "Assorted Pullet" Brooder. And indeed there were 3 chicks in the "Assorted Pullet" cage that appeared to be Barred Rocks. So I brought them home. (Along with 3 Brown Leghorn Pullets, cutest chicks ever). They are at ~10-11 days of age and one is not looking like the others? I am thinking #3 is looking roo like? #3 still has the dark wash down the front of the legs, but more outgoing and wings are much more visible barred, head spot is much bigger and diffuse (including the back of the neck). And tail feathers not developing as fast. Did I get a roo out of the Pullet cage? Top and side pic of each chick #s 1-3. Any BR expert sexers out there that can help me out?
Last one definitely will be a roo.

I'd vote all females. A pure BR male would be double barred and there would be much more white in the Barring coming in on the wings, at least in my experience. Every breeder and hatchery breeds for different traights but generally speaking, there should be a noticeable difference in the Barring coming in when comparing males and females.

Back
Top Bottom