Do you think the Black Australorp is the dad to any of these chicks?

• Total voters
Doesn't matter. IF they are SG hens then they don't have a barring gene so not possible they'd pass it on.
As I understand it, Andalusian roosters are bred with Barred Rock hens. Some of those resulting hatchlings go on to be called Sapphire Gem chicks (only about 30% of the total hatched chicks have the right color/genetic expression to be called SG). So, because those chicks are technically about 50% BR and 50% Andalusian those chicks HAVE some of that genetic material from the BR but the barring gene isn't expressed. That doesn't mean that they DON'T have the genes, it means it isn't expressed.

When a SG reproduces with a BR the Barring should always express whether or not the chick is male or female. If the SG reproduces with a non-barred rooster, the resulting chicks shouldn't have barring unless the rooster also had a recessive trait for barring - then some of the chicks could have barring, both male and female.

This article (quoted below) might explain it better than I can.

Recessive Inheritance

When a trait is recessive, an individual must have two copies of a recessive allele to express the trait. Recessive alleles are denoted by a lowercase letter (a versus A). Only individuals with an aa genotype will express a recessive trait; therefore, offspring must receive one recessive allele from each parent to exhibit a recessive trait.
It's possible for a non-barred hen to produce barred chicks if her eggs are fertilized by a barred rooster.

I took more photos this afternoon. Yes, some have pasty butts, I cleaned them up after I took the photos. We have also hatched out ebay-purchased hatching eggs; many may be in the photos alongside the ones in question. In total we have 19 new babies. Of the 19 11 are from our SG and BR or BA rooster.

The first batch (the most feathered) are from a week ago (hatched from our own eggs) and the newer ones are two Polish chicks (purchased), 2 of our own eggs was added to the ebay eggs and both hatched, then we had 6 of the ebay eggs hatch.

IMG_2148.PNG
IMG_2149.PNG
IMG_2150.PNG IMG_2151.PNG

In the photo below the bigger gray one is the one in question. The thinner one is a newer Polish chick we picked up.
IMG_2152.PNG

IMG_2153.PNG

In the photo below the top, big feathering chick is the one I'm referencing. I picked this one up and checked it's wings. It has three white feathers in the wings. I think that's barring coming through? I have read that Black Australorp (and Jersey Giant) chicks often have three white feathers until they are about 5-6 months old then they tend to lose them and grow in black.

Random unnecessary paragraph chatting about the ebay hatchlings shown in the pic below (and a side quest if you like to guess some other chicks breeds): Some of them Four of them are ones in a line at the bottom of the photo. Starting bottom to top: yellow with brown speckles on it's head, brown, gray, brown.. They all have feathered legs/feet. I'm so excited to see how they feather out. They're so small. Maybe silky mix? They only have 4 toes, not 5. Also from the ebay eggs we have an Ayam Cemani either purebred or mixed. It has all black skin, beak, eyes, feathers, etc. I'm pretty sure the yellow chick with brown spots on its head and the gray one came from what appeared to be Starlight Green Egger eggs. I actually had to help both of them out of the shells. The yellow one was the one I basically did all the work. I didn't spend all that money on those ebay eggs to only get ONE Ayam Cemani (pure or mixed) chick! It was a bad situation, I'll chat about what happened later... We have 5 dark brown eggs left, and a cream colored egg still incubating. There is life in the cream egg but it is very underdeveloped. I cannot tell with the dark brown eggs. I tried putting them in a bowl of warm water to see if i could see movement - I didn't. I only saw movement in the cream colored egg. I candled the cream colored egg and definitely see movement but it looks only about halfway there. I'll continue to incubate until it hatches or the movement stops. Seller stated the chicks could be a mix of any of the following (and more she didn't list): Several colors of Cochin, Ayam Cemani, Silky, Deathlayer, Starlight Green Egger, several varieties of Marans, White Leghorn, and Buckeye.

IMG_2154.PNG

The image below, the chick on the left half out of the frame - the feathered one, and the black one on the bottom with the tiny white wing tips. A newer Polish took front and center in the frame, unfortunately lol.
IMG_2156.PNG

IMG_2157.PNG

billhicks-mictap.gif
I gave you your answer and then another member even went into great detail explaining how and why.
But anyways, carry on.

As I understand it, Andalusian roosters are bred with Barred Rock hens. Some of those resulting hatchlings go on to be called Sapphire Gem chicks (only about 30% of the total hatched chicks have the right color/genetic expression to be called SG). So, because those chicks are technically about 50% BR and 50% Andalusian those chicks HAVE some of that genetic material from the BR but the barring gene isn't expressed. That doesn't mean that they DON'T have the genes, it means it isn't expressed.

When a SG reproduces with a BR the Barring should always express whether or not the chick is male or female. If the SG reproduces with a non-barred rooster, the resulting chicks shouldn't have barring unless the rooster also had a recessive trait for barring - then some of the chicks could have barring, both male and female.

This article (quoted below) might explain it better than I can.

It's possible for a non-barred hen to produce barred chicks if her eggs are fertilized by a barred rooster.

I took more photos this afternoon. Yes, some have pasty butts, I cleaned them up after I took the photos. We have also hatched out ebay-purchased hatching eggs; many may be in the photos alongside the ones in question. In total we have 19 new babies. Of the 19 11 are from our SG and BR or BA rooster.

The first batch (the most feathered) are from a week ago (hatched from our own eggs) and the newer ones are two Polish chicks (purchased), 2 of our own eggs was added to the ebay eggs and both hatched, then we had 6 of the ebay eggs hatch.

View attachment 3780183
View attachment 3780184
View attachment 3780187View attachment 3780188

In the photo below the bigger gray one is the one in question. The thinner one is a newer Polish chick we picked up.
View attachment 3780189

View attachment 3780190

In the photo below the top, big feathering chick is the one I'm referencing. I picked this one up and checked it's wings. It has three white feathers in the wings. I think that's barring coming through? I have read that Black Australorp (and Jersey Giant) chicks often have three white feathers until they are about 5-6 months old then they tend to lose them and grow in black.

Random unnecessary paragraph chatting about the ebay hatchlings shown in the pic below (and a side quest if you like to guess some other chicks breeds): Some of them Four of them are ones in a line at the bottom of the photo. Starting bottom to top: yellow with brown speckles on it's head, brown, gray, brown.. They all have feathered legs/feet. I'm so excited to see how they feather out. They're so small. Maybe silky mix? They only have 4 toes, not 5. Also from the ebay eggs we have an Ayam Cemani either purebred or mixed. It has all black skin, beak, eyes, feathers, etc. I'm pretty sure the yellow chick with brown spots on its head and the gray one came from what appeared to be Starlight Green Egger eggs. I actually had to help both of them out of the shells. The yellow one was the one I basically did all the work. I didn't spend all that money on those ebay eggs to only get ONE Ayam Cemani (pure or mixed) chick! It was a bad situation, I'll chat about what happened later... We have 5 dark brown eggs left, and a cream colored egg still incubating. There is life in the cream egg but it is very underdeveloped. I cannot tell with the dark brown eggs. I tried putting them in a bowl of warm water to see if i could see movement - I didn't. I only saw movement in the cream colored egg. I candled the cream colored egg and definitely see movement but it looks only about halfway there. I'll continue to incubate until it hatches or the movement stops. Seller stated the chicks could be a mix of any of the following (and more she didn't list): Several colors of Cochin, Ayam Cemani, Silky, Deathlayer, Starlight Green Egger, several varieties of Marans, White Leghorn, and Buckeye.

View attachment 3780192

The image below, the chick on the left half out of the frame - the feathered one, and the black one on the bottom with the tiny white wing tips. A newer Polish took front and center in the frame, unfortunately lol.
View attachment 3780193

View attachment 3780194
Barring is a dominant trait, not recessive, so it always expresses. Your SG hens are sex-linked using the barring gene, so SG roosters have one barring gene, and hens have no barring genes. Thus your girls had no ability to pass barring down to their chicks, and all barred offspring were fathered by a barred rooster. The non-barred chicks could be from a rooster with only one barring gene, or a non-barred rooster.

I feel like I’m just reiterating what NatJ and TheMoonshiner have said, but maybe it’s helpful? 😅

Good luck with the rest of your hatch!

Barring is a dominant trait, not recessive, so it always expresses. Your SG hens are sex-linked using the barring gene, so SG roosters have one barring gene, and hens have no barring genes. Thus your girls had no ability to pass barring down to their chicks, and all barred offspring were fathered by a barred rooster. The non-barred chicks could be from a rooster with only one barring gene, or a non-barred rooster.

I feel like I’m just reiterating what NatJ and TheMoonshiner have said, but maybe it’s helpful? 😅

Good luck with the rest of your hatch!
Got it. Thx.

A few white feathers in the wings are common for any black chicken (Black Australorp, or Black Jersey Giant, or Black Sexlinks, or black chicks with a Sapphire Gem mother, or any other chicken that will grow up black.)

The barring gene makes white lines (bars) that run sideways across the feathers.

In your photos, the black chicks with a yellow dot on top of their head are the ones with barring. The black chicks with no yellow dot are the ones with no barring. The barring in the wings will be more obvious once they grow their feathers a bit more.

For the chick I think you were referencing in that paragraph: it has white feathers in the wings AND has barring.

Back
Top Bottom