10 day old silkie chick help

Quote:
Yeah, I'm not so sure... I had a couple that were looking neurological about a month ago and was trying to figure out how to give them the proper amount of E, selenium and B1 and B2. The only one that looked like it had all of them was Rooster Booster Poultry Cell, but it also had iron. Neither chick could walk, and I figured they would die if left alone, so I gave them a couple of drops of it. Believe it or not, both recovered in two days.

If you can afford it, get the Rooster Booster Poultry Cell, Nutri Drench and PolyViSol (no iron). I have all three, but the two I use the most are Rooster Booster and Nutri Drench.

-Kathy

I'd agree with Kathy and get the nutri drench or an avian vitamin pack. There is a possibility that this could be a cerebral hemorrhage . It is common in vaulted skull birds , especially in hot weather or in the case of injury ( peck to the head )

http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article.html

This is the only one I can find "without iron" (infant drops) however the ingredient list does list iron
idunno.gif

actual ingredient list:
Glycerin, Water, Ascorbic Acid, Polysorbate 80, Vitamin E Succinate, Niacinamide, Ferrous Sulfate (As A Stabilizer For Vitamin B12), Natural And Artificial Flavor, Caramel Color, Vitamin A Palmitate, Thiamin Hydrochloride, Riboflavin-5-Phosphate Sodium, Vitamin B6 Hydrochloride, Vitamin D3, Vitamin B12.

Nutrition Facts (on box)
Vitamin A 100%
Vitamin C 100%
Vitamin D 100%
Vitamin E 100%

Riboflavin 100%
Niacin 100%
Vitamin B6 100%
Vitamin B12 100%

Last edited:
I'd agree with Kathy and get the nutri drench or an avian vitamin pack. There is a possibility that this could be a cerebral hemorrhage . It is common in vaulted skull birds , especially in hot weather or in the case of injury ( peck to the head )

http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article.html
No injury that I can see. It has been hot here, at least much hotter than we are used to here in the Pacific North West.

would this work? I know my local feed store has it
Sav-A-Chick
00ae.png
Electrolyte & Vitamin Supplement
Salt (min.): 8.0%
Salt (max.): 9.0%
Sodium (min.): 14.0%
Sodium (max.): 14.5%
Potassium (min.): 15.0%
Vitamin A (min.): 1,280,000 IU/lb.
Vitamin D3 (min.): 3,200,000 IU/lb.
Vitamin E (min.): 960 IU/lb.
Ascorbic acid (vitamin C) (min.): 2560 mg/lb.
Vitamin B12 (min.): 1.9 mg/lb.

Last edited:
No injury that I can see. It has been hot here, at least much hotter than we are used to here in the Pacific North West.

would this work? I know my local feed store has it
Sav-A-Chick
00ae.png
Electrolyte & Vitamin Supplement
Salt (min.): 8.0%

Salt (max.): 9.0%

Sodium (min.): 14.0%

Sodium (max.): 14.5%

Potassium (min.): 15.0%

Vitamin A (min.): 1,280,000 IU/lb.

Vitamin D3 (min.): 3,200,000 IU/lb.

Vitamin E (min.): 960 IU/lb.

Ascorbic acid (vitamin C) (min.): 2560 mg/lb.

Vitamin B12 (min.): 1.9 mg/lb.

I would be inclined to use the save a chick , however it is quite high in salt /electrolyte s and probably shouldn't be used for an extended period of time. There are poultry multi vits available on line , I'll find you a link.

http://www.jefferspet.com/products/avian-super-pack-4oz

Last edited:
This is the only one I can find "without iron" (infant drops) however the ingredient list does list iron
idunno.gif

actual ingredient list:
Glycerin, Water, Ascorbic Acid, Polysorbate 80, Vitamin E Succinate, Niacinamide, Ferrous Sulfate (As A Stabilizer For Vitamin B12), Natural And Artificial Flavor, Caramel Color, Vitamin A Palmitate, Thiamin Hydrochloride, Riboflavin-5-Phosphate Sodium, Vitamin B6 Hydrochloride, Vitamin D3, Vitamin B12.

Nutrition Facts (on box)
Vitamin A 100%
Vitamin C 100%
Vitamin D 100%
Vitamin E 100%

Riboflavin 100%
Niacin 100%
Vitamin B6 100%
Vitamin B12 100%
Get it, but also get the others. If you end up not using them you can return them.

-Kathy

Here's an old thread on iron. Kathy is the Maths genius so I'll let her check the numbers.
smile.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/339970/whats-wrong-with-iron
Hardly a genius, lol, it actually is sort of hard for me and I do make mistakes.
big_smile.png
When I have a few minutes I'll sit down and crunch some numbers for *all *of the products mentioned in this thread. Off the top of my head, the Rooster Booster is 400mg iron per ounce (29.5735ml), so 1ml is 400/29.5735 = 13.55mg iron. When I gave it to my sick chicks the 100 gram one got 0.2ml, so it got 2.71mg of iron and did nothing but get better.

-Kathy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom