10 eggs in the nest and counting

Kel60

Songster
Nov 9, 2020
So my boy I brought in due to bullying and his girlfriend have started a family. They've got ten eggs in the nest so far and are showing no real signs of stopping.

Will I see any particular behavior when she finally goes to sit or will she just camp out one day and that'll be it? Will the male stop trying to mate?

Shes is acting odd right now. Shes keeps going to the nest and yelling. Then the male comes over and squeezing in next to her and making this clicking and buzzing noise as well. Shes laid her egg for the day so it's not that. shes definitely fussing in a way she wasnt before. I can here her messing with the straw right now. She hasnt really done much with the nest since she made it.
Perhaps this is it?
20201225_180306.jpg

Don't be disappointed if she gives up after a day or two. Have an incubator ready just in case.

Honestly of she gives up after a few days I'm Just going to let it go. It's a bit early in the year for new hatchlings for me. Its going to still be pretty bitter cold when their 6 weeks old. I was planing on just buying some around april, but when she went broody I figured I'd give it a try.

Honestly of she gives up after a few days I'm Just going to let it go. It's a bit early in the year for new hatchlings for me. Its going to still be pretty bitter cold when their 6 weeks old. I was planing on just buying some around april, but when she went broody I figured I'd give it a try.
Always give it a try! And don’t you mean late in the year. ;) ;)

Well momma is being a bum and not sitting on her eggs. She'll come over and fuss with the nest all the time. Rearranging Bits of hay for a few minutes before getting bored and wandering off again. She might just not be ready to sit down for the long haul. Dont know, you'd think she wouldn't be paying such attention to the nest if she wasnt interested.

Dad however seems determined to single father these eggs he camps put on them for an hour or more at a time before giving up. Its usually just after she gets off them from one of her fussing phases. I think hes with program but shes just not ready yet. hopefully he doesn't screw up the incubation to much for when/if she does start.

Here's a pic of dad sitting on his nest of 12 eggs and mom ignoring him.
20201227_172628.jpg

Back
Top Bottom