$10 homemade incubator!

well done im impressed with your Homemade incubator and it worked when others thought it would fail so pleased it worked very cool might have to consider making my own too one day thanks for sharing

Here's a recent batch of harlequin quail I hatched with this incubator.

If anyone is interested in harlequin quail hatching eggs, please let me know! I'll have a limited amount for sale.
Link to listing: http://m.ebay.com/itm/6-African-Har...e-same-day-shipping-/252273079448?nav=SELLING

Last edited:
This is incorrect, it doesn't save electricity it actually waste it in this application...

An incandescent is about 95% efficient at making heat... A CFL is about 20% efficient at making heat...

Thus a 13 Watt CFL is equivalent to a 2.6 Watt heater, or a 3 Watt incandescent bulb... A 3 Watt incandescent bulb (or about 7 or 8 mini x-mas tree lights) would be over four times efficient in this case and produce the same amount of heat...

I'm pretty sure photons hitting something makes heat. In the end, it all comes out heat. So if you use a 13 watt bulb, you get 13 watts of heat, regardless how efficient it is at making light (the exception is the plexiglass window where photons escape).

The beauty of this system is that the bulb doesn't get that hot, so there is little heat to waste through the fan to the outside. Effectively, it's a 13 watt heater and, apparently, 13 watts is all that's needed to maintain 30 degree differential inside a styrofoam container.

I just finished my $20 home made incubator.
Bouth only temperature controller from Ebay, air fan from Ebay, humidity indicator from Ebay and light bulbs from local store.
Rest is just scrap and waste materials...
Hope will work :) 30 Black Mongolian Chickens eggs already inside :D

Back
Top Bottom