1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

10 hr duckling acting like something caught in throat **HELP**

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckking, May 17, 2011.

1. duckking

duckking Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    She's been totally fine since she hatched. Drinking a bit, but not excessively, not eating much, and just checking on them before I went to bed. She keeps lifting her head up and opens and closes her bill and shakes her head like there is something caught. I managed to look down her throat briefly with a flashlight and see nothing in there.

Tried to massage her crop or feel something, but everything seems normal to me....

Forget about bed now. I don't know what to do!!!!! She is drinking and peeping, but she's so tired and tries to fall asleep, but then has to shake her head again. They are on towels....no shavings yet.

HELP!!!!

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  2. Totes Quackers

Totes Quackers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Melbourne
    I am an absolute duck novice.. I've only got 1 duck! I got my duck when he was a day old and he did the same thing but usually only when he ate, altho it totally freaked me out at first, I thought he was choking! Hope your little one is ok [​IMG]

3. duckking

duckking Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    Maybe she hasn't figured out that she needs to drink after she eats. The older duckling eats then drinks, she seems to drink then eat. She seems better now. I gotta be up in 4 hours, so I hope I have a happy duckling in the morning. [​IMG]

4. xke4

xke4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2007
    Had one like that last year. We have special tubes at the wildlife centre that we can pass right down into their crops and that did the trick. Just needed its esophagus cleared....must have been a bit of dry starter. Wonder if your vet would pass a small catheter for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by