10 Most Common Silkie Questions....

Has anyone here ever heard of sexing by their sound? We just got a 'pair' of white silkies and am hoping that it's what they are. The larger one has a deeper different like "chuk chuk" and the smaller one that we were told was female is more of a "sweet sweet" sound. I'll post pic's later (got to load them) we were told they are of show quality and supposed to be 4 months but still are feathering out and have some of their 'chick' down on them. Is this right? I would think they would be completely feathered by 4 months and showing some type of comb?

I'll load up the pic's we took today so you can see them..

PICT0001-3.jpg

We'll get pic's of the one we were told is the roo tomorrow but he's there behind lil' Cotton Top (supposed to be a hen).
We got our Porcelan D'Uccle pair (that are here in the pic' too) today from a BYC'r Thank you so very much Gloria!!! They are just sweet as can be!!

Even their crest is not completly feathered out, well they still have the lil' shafts over alot of their feathers I'll put it like that. How old do you think they are? Here is another of her...
DSC00088.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Its not possible, especially because some females will crow along with the roosters. They are few and very far between, but it has happened. As stated, the only true way to sex a Silkie is time.

I have found this thread very helpful! I have mostly buff orpingtons but recently (about 2 months ago) picked up 4 silkies for my daughter. She kept trying to love on my other birds and they were NOT impressed. The silkies let her love them
smile.png
I have noticed several things about the silkies that make them much more desirable as a pet. For one, the chicks are no where near as nasty as buffs can be LOL. They are much cleaner birds and rarely even poop in their waterer. I have since decided to allow nature to take it's course and add more to them if they wish. They are adorable babies! The 4 I have are white, lavendar, and two buff lavender combo's. one being more buff then lavendar and the other being more lavendar then buff. Interesting mix for sure
smile.png
I want to thank you for all the information about silkies and will continue to check back on this thread as it already taught me a great deal
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom