10 pound hen taken by bobcat/mountain lion

Quote:
That's ok, it's happened before anyway.
wink.png

lol.png
I am glad you told me before I did something stupid like hittin on you:lol: just kidding im married with kids

Quote:
No I never said we don't have mountain lions, just no reported sightings in the NEIGHBORHOOD. That's the reason I didn't think it was a mt. lion. But now I'm starting to think otherwise. It could have come during the night.

Quote:
Oh, no! I don't mean they EAT them! I just mean the huge size difference (ten pound cat vs. 35 pound bobcat) would most likely result in injury to the domestic cat...think turkey trying to mate a chicken.

No, bobcats do eat domestic cats, lot's of stories to prove it too!

I hate to disagree with you, but I have yet to get any hard evidence of a bobcat eatting a domestic cat (and I have done tons of research on this very topic)...I have no doubt that one could kill a cat, but I have yet to see any consume them. So far, every supposed domestic cat kill I have seen and studied has ended up being a coyote. This is another area of research we are working on. Bobcats readily recognize domestic cats as felines, and more of a curiosity rather than a food source.

Caro_with_his_adopted_family.jpg

This is one of our kits with his adopted family. Even though he is significantly bigger than the domestics, he is gentle, and does less damage to his "siblings" than they do to eachother.

There are tons of misconceptions about bobcats, and this is a big one. Even sexually mature adult males will "mother" and protect bobkits.

quinceyandpixie.jpg

This is a two year old sexually mature male, at the peak of his raging hormones, and a kit about a third his size (hard to tell I know...she is stretched out towards the camera!). If any bobcat was going to tear up an unrelated kitten (even of his own species), this is the age at which he would do so.

Granted, the first example is not true to wild, but our research with other wild adult bobcats supports this finding.

Last edited:
Quote:
No I never said we don't have mountain lions, just no reported sightings in the NEIGHBORHOOD. That's the reason I didn't think it was a mt. lion. But now I'm starting to think otherwise. It could have come during the night.

There very elusive and wont be seen if they dont want to be, but that looks like perfect mt lion habitat, have you considered a trail cam? they are really fun plus youll learn in your neck of the woods

Quote:
No, bobcats do eat domestic cats, lot's of stories to prove it too!

I hate to disagree with you, but I have yet to get any hard evidence of a bobcat eatting a domestic cat (and I have done tons of research on this very topic)...I have no doubt that one could kill a cat, but I have yet to see any consume them. So far, every supposed domestic cat kill I have seen has ended up being a coyote. This is another area of research we are working on. Bobcats readily recognize domestic cats as felines, and more of a curiosity rather than a food source.

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/...ers wildlife/Caro_with_his_adopted_family.jpg

This is one of our kits with his adopted family. Even though he is significantly bigger than the domestics, he is gentle, and does less damage to his "siblings" than they do to eachother.

There are tons of misconceptions about bobcats, and this is a big one. Even sexually mature adult males will "mother" and protect bobkits.

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww348/kari_dawn/crosstimbers wildlife/quinceyandpixie.jpg

This is a two year old sexually mature male, at the peak of his raging hormones, and a kit about a third his size (hard to tell I know...she is stretched out towards the camera!). If any bobcat was going to tear up an unrelated kitten (even of his own species), this is the age at which he would do so.

Granted, the first example is not true to wild, but our research with other wild adult bobcats supports this finding.

OK, what I meant was stalking and killing domestic cats. I assumed they were eaten afterwards.
hmm.png

even then, I have yet to have a confirmed case of a bobcat stalking a domestic cat with the intention of and execution of killing one. I simply stated they had the capacity to do one in so to speak
hmm.png

Now, I have seen plenty of bobcats stalking domestics in play, but never in "kill" mode.

Last edited:
Quote:
Thank you , I dont kill out of fear, and dont believe in killing in massive numbers (with the exception of wild hogs and coyotes Invasive species here)i knew there was another side to em, and have seen and even called in the kits while predator hunting (i always pass on them) you wouldnt believe the things they do when they get called in to a decoy, and figure out there is a big, blinking camo thing by the tree, they split pretty quick, but theres that 30 seconds of curiosity that gets um, till you move. the way they stare at you cuts you like butter, I have much respect for the wildlife I hunt

ps i love the pics your posting kari_dawn

Back
Top Bottom