10 Skunks successfully evicted from barn

I just found 13dead chickens! Bodies fairly intact, lots of feathers around. The heads were on and the skin was barely torn. My fence is over 4.5 feet, no holes, they can not dig under... what would do this?
What is odd about this is the bodies fairly intact. Possibly hawks (though most hawk kills I've seen they've ripped the heads off). How did they die if they're not torn up or body parts missing? Are they even wet from something mouthing them? Never have seen this. I deal with raccoons, coyotes, hawks, owls and skunks, but I've never had them do this.

What is odd about this is the bodies fairly intact. Possibly hawks (though most hawk kills I've seen they've ripped the heads off). How did they die if they're not torn up or body parts missing? Are they even wet from something mouthing them? Never have seen this. I deal with raccoons, coyotes, hawks, owls and skunks, but I've never had them do this.
Seems strange to me too. The eggs were still there, it/they got into the house thru the small door, so not so big. And it was not done for food, but for fun? Mid day too.
I have had chickens in this yard for about 15 years. Nothing like this has happened. Raccoons havekilled for food. I do live at the edge of national forest in.New Mexico. What kills for fun?
Each chicken looked mostly feathered and not bloody. And not wet. Either they have broken necks or died of shock. One that survived has a bloody cut across the back. Now I am afraid it will come back and finish them.
I do have a large protective dog who was with us yesterday when we were gone. He hopefully will deter it/them. Altho he is less interested in going to that part of the property recently. Hmmmmm
Thanks for your input.

The fox attack we had here was seen by a neighbor's carpenter, who just watched. :mad: Ten laying hens, free ranging, mid-day. All had a couple of puncture wounds on their backs, and broken necks. He returned in daylight and was shot. He was nearly bald with mange, poor thing. Mary

The fox attack we had here was seen by a neighbor's carpenter, who just watched. :mad: Ten laying hens, free ranging, mid-day. All had a couple of puncture wounds on their backs, and broken necks. He returned in daylight and was shot. He was nearly bald with mange, poor thing. Mary
Wow....never had to deal with foxes. Just got word from a friend who has a farm down the road. They saw a bobcat. Geez....another animal Noah let out of the ark that I would have been fine with just either staying on the ark or never making it on. :tongue

Fox, could be. I plan to set out a trap. Could be a bobcat. Someone said maybe a feral cat. Wonder of I will ever find out.

Fox, could be. I plan to set out a trap. Could be a bobcat. Someone said maybe a feral cat. Wonder of I will ever find out.
Get a game camera and set it up. Those of us who use them see all the critters that are running around the pens and coops at night. You don't have to do anything with them or hook them to the internet. Put it on a tree nearby, attach to coop or pen. Just secure it and then take out the "thingy", put in your computer and watch....yeah I'm a techie :hmm

Get a game camera and set it up. Those of us who use them see all the critters that are running around the pens and coops at night. You don't have to do anything with them or hook them to the internet. Put it on a tree nearby, attach to coop or pen. Just secure it and then take out the "thingy", put in your computer and watch....yeah I'm a techie :hmm
Great idea, what do they cost?

Back
Top Bottom