10 Tips for a Cooler Coop

Ice cubes in water dishes helps cool the birds down. I cut a watermelon in half too, and let them eat that.

I also use an outlet that turns fans on and off depending on temperature:
www.shopthecoop.com

If you need any handmade coop nesting box heaters or solar water heaters they work great to keep water cool in the summer and defrosted in the winter.

I hope this helps!

The girls have fresh running water just steps from their house.
They're let out most morinings at 8am until 12 or 13 hours later. They're very happy chicks, but it's been extremeley hot and I'm not getting very many eggs ( maybe 2 or 3 a day out of 9 hens.)
They have access to all the layer ration they want. Oyster, grit, and of course water (2 waterers and one stream- one in their house, one 50 ft from it and the stream within 20ft.)

I know that they might be laying their eggs far from their house, but with our Lab, I think I'd have seen evidence of that by now.

It's true that they're not eating much now,
big_smile.png
but I want to see more eggs. Anyone else with more experience?
Other than keeping them confined- any ideas?

L

Mine have two waterers in the coop, five water sources around the yard and a box fan in the coop. I can go into the coop and feel a temp drop immediately in there from outside. Fan is in the north window which is shaded. Now mind you this is an old house we are using.
They get their waterers changed three times a day in this heat from fresh spring water well. Plus, like most of you...they get fresh fruit and veggies and occasionally, yogurt. I am getting about a dozen eggs per day from about 23 laying hens. I have a couple pullets not quite ready to lay. Most have finished their molt but still a couple going through it.
Some spend the day inside in front of the fan. I use to put an ice block in their waterers but not necessary now since the water is changed so much. Geese have a kiddie pool and the little ducks just jump in to the outside waterers...more their size
lol.png

And we all still have August to go through!
barnie.gif

We aren't haven't the heat like the east coast has had but our temps and humidity are up there now in the triple digits with heat index. Actual temp yesterday was 97. I bought two ice cream cones and by the time I got to our car, dh and I had to stand outside and eat them. He said he had never seen ice cream melt that fast
lol.png

We have a box fan in the coop, they seem to enjoy it. My belief is that if you place a ceiling fan in the coop, you may be creating a dangerous environment for you chickens. Don't forget plenty of water especially in the heat.

It is 99 here today, and weather bug says that it actually feels like 101 out. The girls are panting badly. I changed their water earlier and put ice cubes in, I put ice cubes in a bag and threw on the ground, and put a box fan to circulate air. They are all huddled in the corner away from the fan and ice and water. I'm hoping this means they are still ok. Fortunately the rest of the week will not be this hot, I just hate seeing them stressed from the heat.

Worried mother hen.

I keep a box fan hanging from the ceiling in front of the north facing window. It is up out of the way and the north side is always cooler in the summer. Be sure to keep those fan blades blown off or the build up of dust will really slow down the air flow.

Quote:
I would have the fan pulling air from the coop. If the coop is properly ventilated, you'll be pulling outside air into the coop and then back out. The movement of air is the cooling.

Quote:
I would have the fan pulling air from the coop. If the coop is properly ventilated, you'll be pulling outside air into the coop and then back out. The movement of air is the cooling.

I forgot to add that our coop's north side window has a lot of vines over it and I have it pulling that cool air inside. But it is only because the vines and being on the north side is cool.

Quote:

thx
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom