10 week old buff brahma sex?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by keywestfarmer, Nov 27, 2013.

1. keywestfarmer

keywestfarmer New Egg

Nov 27, 2013
    Any ideas of the sex for our 10 week old buff brahma?!? I tried to get a few angles, all of the same one chicken.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The comb is rather red for the age, but I'm not seeing much patchy coloring or any saddle or pointy hackle feathers. Because of the comb, I will make a guess of cockerel for now. However, post some more photos in a few more weeks to be sure-- "it" may just be an early developing pullet.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm going to say cockerel, based on the comb. But the feathering and coloring doesn't look that cockerel-ish, so it may just be a quick maturing pullet. Like Wyandottes7 mentioned, I would post updated photos in a few weeks and see if it is easier to tell for sure then.

4. keywestfarmer

keywestfarmer New Egg

Nov 27, 2013
    thank you for your reply. "he" was purchased as a day old "baby boy" but as you noted, a lot of the signs of a developing rooster are not there, hence why we are unsure. seeing that one of our three golden buff girls actually turned out to be a BOY, how that happened I cant figure out since they are supposed to be sex linked. we dont want two roosters and were hoping that this one (Little Kramer) was actually a girl, due to the lack of certain "boy traits" so far. if he is a rooster as we had intended, then the OTHER boy will be our Christmas dinner...

i should also mention, Little Kramer and Penelope (now Parson, the OTHER boy) do occasionally face off and spar each other, although only briefly... this started about 2 weeks ago. if that helps!

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm pretty sure he's a boy. he's only 10 weeks, he's still just a baby esp for a brahma.

Is that white bird with red wings your other roo? How old is he?

6. keywestfarmer

keywestfarmer New Egg

Nov 27, 2013
    Yes, the white one with the large comb is the other rooster. He was supposed to be a she, as we ordered 3 golden buff girls along with the others, two followed coloring for females and the other one kept light... now his markings and comb are a dead ringer for a golden buff roo. they are all right about 10 weeks old, all raised together from day old chicks.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Oh yeah, that's a ton of comb for 10 weeks, even from a rsl rooster. He's sure not shy, is he?

8. tlcarnes2176

tlcarnes2176 Chillin' With My Peeps

I would say teenage boy right now. More pictures later on to be sure!

9. flockman

flockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    Boy for sure!

10. marycontrary14

marycontrary14 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2014
    Middle TN
    I'm wondering how your Buff Brahma turned out? Boy or girl? I have two 8-9 weekers, and one looks a lot like yours!

Ps. There are not a lot of Buff Brahma sexing threads. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by