10 week old buff brahma sex?

keywestfarmer

Hatching
6 Years
Nov 27, 2013
Any ideas of the sex for our 10 week old buff brahma?!? I tried to get a few angles, all of the same one chicken.

The comb is rather red for the age, but I'm not seeing much patchy coloring or any saddle or pointy hackle feathers. Because of the comb, I will make a guess of cockerel for now. However, post some more photos in a few more weeks to be sure-- "it" may just be an early developing pullet.

I'm going to say cockerel, based on the comb. But the feathering and coloring doesn't look that cockerel-ish, so it may just be a quick maturing pullet. Like Wyandottes7 mentioned, I would post updated photos in a few weeks and see if it is easier to tell for sure then.

thank you for your reply. "he" was purchased as a day old "baby boy" but as you noted, a lot of the signs of a developing rooster are not there, hence why we are unsure. seeing that one of our three golden buff girls actually turned out to be a BOY, how that happened I cant figure out since they are supposed to be sex linked. we dont want two roosters and were hoping that this one (Little Kramer) was actually a girl, due to the lack of certain "boy traits" so far. if he is a rooster as we had intended, then the OTHER boy will be our Christmas dinner...

i should also mention, Little Kramer and Penelope (now Parson, the OTHER boy) do occasionally face off and spar each other, although only briefly... this started about 2 weeks ago. if that helps!

I'm pretty sure he's a boy. he's only 10 weeks, he's still just a baby esp for a brahma.

Is that white bird with red wings your other roo? How old is he?

Yes, the white one with the large comb is the other rooster. He was supposed to be a she, as we ordered 3 golden buff girls along with the others, two followed coloring for females and the other one kept light... now his markings and comb are a dead ringer for a golden buff roo. they are all right about 10 weeks old, all raised together from day old chicks.

I'm wondering how your Buff Brahma turned out? Boy or girl? I have two 8-9 weekers, and one looks a lot like yours!

Ps. There are not a lot of Buff Brahma sexing threads. :)

Back
Top Bottom