10 week old pullet squatting

Red Horse

Songster
May 16, 2022
Was watching the chickens lounge around and dust bathe. One of my golden comet pullets jumped up from her nap and ran squealing and flapping up the ramp toward the chicken house. I thought maybe she just had a big clump of mud stuck to her that scared her (we had a doozy of a storm last night but they still try to dust bathe in the damp limestone), but then she bolted down the ramp and started running/squatting around the run. She continued alternating squatting and running for a whole minute, crying out some of the time. I checked her vent and it is clean and clear, and nothing feels weird around her abdomen but I'm not sure what to check for. She has stopped doing it but I'm concerned. She's only 10 weeks old, what could be the issue?

She sounds like she's maturing and that's her way of saying that a rooster could mate her.
It should kind of look like this: (not my photos)
1658445883927.png

1658445923868.png

Usually I've noticed this more around week 15, but I think it could happen much earlier.

It's a normal behavior. :)

That's crazy, she's still my little baby! Do they get upset and scream out in pain like that? She was shrieking like something was really hurting her. If she was older I would have thought she was trying to lay her first egg or something.

Back
Top Bottom