10 week old royal palm?? Is he a tom??? (updated 4 months old now)

Quote:
Thats ok.... I wanted a tom, but I just love my possibly madge... all I need to do know is convince my partner we need a harol
wink.png
thanks for all your input I really appreciate it.. I cant be exact about age as the man had various ages in the pen... But wha ever happens, I am so happy with my turkey it is so much fun... I will post pics at various intervals, and try and have my camera handy if possibly madge strutts again, because I must say it looks very impressive
big_smile.png

Quote:
Thats ok.... I wanted a tom, but I just love my possibly madge... all I need to do know is convince my partner we need a harol
wink.png
thanks for all your input I really appreciate it.. I cant be exact about age as the man had various ages in the pen... But wha ever happens, I am so happy with my turkey it is so much fun... I will post pics at various intervals, and try and have my camera handy if possibly madge strutts again, because I must say it looks very impressive
big_smile.png

yep, it's loads of fun with all these birds. Here's some pics for comparison so you will know what to look for. She's almost full size looks like from the pics, so pretty sure she's a she.

here's a 3 year old pair, note all the extra black on the tom, while the hen is fairly clean white

IMG_0925.jpg

IMG_0930.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
wink.png
big_smile.png

yep, it's loads of fun with all these birds. Here's some pics for comparison so you will know what to look for. She's almost full size looks like from the pics, so pretty sure she's a she.

here's a 3 year old pair, note all the extra black on the tom, while the hen is fairly clean white

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii168/BoggyBottomBantams/Turkeys/IMG_0925.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii168/BoggyBottomBantams/Turkeys/IMG_0930.jpg

They are lovely... I need a tom, because yours is stunning... in one of the picture of mine you can get a general idea of possibly madges size... in the background is a 10 weekish old chick... I will have to get a picture next to a person to compare her size... possibly madge is not to large... maybe its a dwarf lol

I must say again though your pair are fantastic... and would it be ok to keep one tom with one hen?? not that my partner has said I can get another one, .... yet
wink.png
I will work on that over time lol.

Thanks!
And yes 1 -1 is o kay, just watch him in the spring, she many need to be separated at times to give her a break from over breeding. The toms can cut the hens backs with their weight and sharp toe nails, they stay on them for ever seems like, and all the shuffling of the feet will at times cut them. Easiest way to avoid that is multiple hens to spread his "affection" over the group, other wise, hell breed her constantly.
Your girl looks about 6-8 months old I'd say, 3/4 grown probably

Quote:
Ahh so probably would be best if I aim for 2 more then
wink.png
that means working abit harder to persuade my partner.... yeah I thought the toms could hurt the females due to the size difference.... sounds like the hens get a bit of a raw deal... might be an idea if I get plenty treats to fatten the ladies up... extra padding lol....My turkey is 12 weeks old, I got it at around 5 weeks old, when possibly madge was all yellow and fluffy
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Saddles???
lau.gif
Well I never... I dont think that would be a good idea, my young son would probably put on his cowboy hat and go for trek on it lol

Quote:
What a lovely Tom... I have become hooked to my turkey.. I would love to get loads, but I am not allowed
sad.png
they are just so comical to watch.. I did not think anything could beat how comical chickens were until I got possibly Madge lol How old was your's when you could tell?? mines only 3 months old at the minute, and is changing everyday... And I have just learnt that there head changing colour means different things... red for 'Hello there, look at me' blue for 'Keep away from the turkey' and no colour 'I cant be bothered' now that is just great
big_smile.png
so when I went out and let them out this morning I checked possibly madges head and it was red, yey she/loves me
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom