10 weeks old pullet itching her fether??????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Omran, Nov 27, 2008.

1. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    I have a 10 weeks old pullet Buff Orp, and looks to me she is scratching her body alot, when I got her I put poultery poweder on her and on all my birds (against lice ETC) and I put the poweder on her again yesterday.
    She is eating well and drinking,but we put her in a gage and placed her in the house with us away from her sisters,till we find out if everything is normal.
    Any Advise will be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Omran.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Has she scratched herself to bleeding? Has she lost feathers? Have you checks for leg mites? Just a few thoughts.....

3. Omran

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:No there is no Bleading, her legs look perfect, she did not loos any feather, she looks clean and fine that's what makes me wondering!

Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
  4. Omran

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Any Body has an Idea please.

5. Crest Acres Girl

Crest Acres Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2008
    Southern California
    It may be fleas or mites maybe even mosquitoes ? sometimes the powder doesnt get them all... Check through her feathers thoroughly.

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Yes I agree with Nyis. Check her over carefully. It may just turn out that she has dry skin. Us ladies do get that problem. I have one hen that is always scratching at her beak. Not issues, just looks strange. At first I thought something was wrong, but no... she is just strange.

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with the other posts. Check her out really well.

I use FOOD GRADE DE, Diatomaceous Earth in the shavings, in their run, where they dust. No problems with flies, fleas, mites, lice or any other pests. I just add some DE periodically.

We had a daughter's dog as she couldn't keep it where she was staying. Well, recently the dog died at 15 yrs old, and shortly aferwards we had a flea infestation except around the chickens. I believe the DE protected them.

8. CarlaRiggs

CarlaRiggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Does she have a dust bath to use if she wants? This seems to help the hens quite a bit. I'd look at her skin under the feathers and see if there's a problem. Is the skin red or scabby looking? Unless the scratching is really out of hand, I'd take a wait and see attitude.

Carla

9. Omran

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Thank you all very much I really appreciated, I looked at her again today and she seems fine and yes she has a plce to get a dirt bath, thanks god she is not doing it as much as before I think she will be ok, and I will keep my eye on her.
    Thanks again.

Omran.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by