10 wk old columbian wyandotte not growing white feathers....

cabot

Songster
9 Years
Jan 29, 2010
north shore of massachusetts
This 10 week old columbian wyandotte has been very late to feather and it appears that anywhere white feathers should be, there is just grey down. The black feathers are fine. This chick is as big as the others of the same hatch date, eats well , is not picked on and if anything is a bit of a bully. He/she does not seem ill in any way, just strange looking. Was bought as a pullet from MPC.

do you think the feathers will come in?
47961_img_1463.jpg

47961_img_1457.jpg

47961_img_1479.jpg

47961_img_1461.jpg

Last edited:
That seems very odd and I'm not sure what is wrong. It could be bad genetics or something....to me it looks like the down is trying to grow into feathers
hmm.png

that is weird. I'm no expert but my first thought was that maybe there was a silky in her family tree? ...or maybe the same kind of fluffy-feather mutation that was selected for in silkies? Keep us posted on her development.

I think maybe you should make a new thread in the "Breeds, Genetics, & Showing" thread, and ask if this might have been caused through a mutated gene
hmm.png

As stated before, I had two that failed to grow feathers by 5 weeks. I know one was quite small when she arrived, but that one has now feathered in totally at 9 weeks. The other one looks like yours, with maybe more feathers on the head. Her back & sides have long gray down. She is just as big as the others. I have no idea what's up, but I think it has to be genetic,as all 15 others are OK. I got mine at Meyer and I think people say MPC gets theirs from Meyer also. Maybe they are from the same place. Would love to hear expert opinions.

I'd like to revive this thread. My 10wk old columbian wyandotte from MPC has the same dark coloring and has been VERY slow to feather. Any idea what's up, folks???

Back
Top Bottom