10 wk pullet was scalped - HELP

Quote:
Guess I happened along at the right moment.

Betadine is OK for the first cleaning of a dirty wound, as it does kill germs, although it needs to be diluted before use, and rinsed off with saline. Because it contains iodine, however, it also kills any new skin cells. It should not be used after the first cleaning for this reason, nor should peroxide for the same reason. I own neither. I use saline or soapy water and Neosporin ointment.

There have been cases where Betadine was used repeatedly and caused thyroid toxicity, because the iodine is absorbed into the system.

Miss Lydia, I make mistakes like this all the time!

Yes, ddawn made a couple of good points that I neglected to make. Hydrogen peroxide is pretty harsh if it is used long after the initial injury. Right away it is okay, but later it can hurt new cell growth. Betadine, or povidone iodine solution, is really good to use for the initial cleaning (unlike ddawn, I do not dilute it), but I would avoid using it several times repeatedly. What I would do is to first disinfect the wound with the Betadine / povidone iodine soultion. Then as soon as it is well dried, then I would coat the wound really good with the Blue Kote or Bickmore Pine Tar. An additional coat of the Blue Kote or Bickmore Pine Tar could be used if needed to ensure that the coating is thick enough. Then, keep the chicken separated from the others in a clean dry coop or pen for a while to allow the wound to start to heal. Don;t worry about removing the Blue Kote or Pine Tar dressing as it will slowly come off after the wound heals.

It's probably bloody sort of flesh that you're seeing.. Under skin but on top of skull. Mostly I say that because I can see them tearing skin off more than a piece of skull.. It would take a very different sort of cutting action to accomplish that I think. They'd probably find it easier to tear off the whole head before they could separate parts of the skull like that.

Anyway I would think that makes her chances way way better..

Oh my gosh if you could have seen my little frizzle, my brahma roo got her down and scalped her, it was awful bloody and missing skin and feathers, I thought no way, but she is fine now and after 4 months almost has all her feathers back, well their back just not completely out yet. It's amazing how they can come through something. By the way after terrorizing my little bantam hens That roo went in the freezer...all the best with you hen also.
hugs.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom