10 year old hand raised senior roo needs good home to live out last years

chickchickie

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 20, 2015
Hi all,

It is with a heavy heart that I write that one of my backyard chickens has passed away and my one remaining avian companion is now sad and lonely, by himself in his coop. He is very very old, hand raised, a bit iffy with strangers but loves hugs and is extremely friendly when he gets to know you. I would like for him to live out his last few years in peace but am unable to provide the consistent source of socialization that he needs now that his mate has passed. He is blind in one eye but can feed himself and navigate the world okay. He is used to living in an urban backyard pallet and wire coop with a wooden board as a perch and having access to backyard grass, sun, and shade a few times a week. He only ever grew up around humans and a hen so he may be scared of dogs and other larger animals but I could see him being able to learn to get along with friendly animals of a similar size to him. Because he is so old, his energy levels are not what they used to be. I am located in the gulf south region. Please let me know if you would be able to help him relocate to a good home where he can have consistent companions and good care for the last of his golden years.

Attachments

• IMG_0970.jpg
    IMG_0970.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 55
Where do you live? How is his crowing?
I am in Louisiana. He crows very rarely now. he's more liable to start doing so if he sees strangers hanging out in his backyard and not acknowledging the backyard is his/not paying him enough attention. other than that, his general crowing is very infrequent.

Ahhh. So sad!! I wish i could take him but I'm very far away. Do you not want chickens anymore? You might be able to find someone else with retired chickens?

If you are still seeking a home for your roo, have you posted your info over on the "Where am I? Where are You? forum for Louisiana? Might try putting it out there. Best of luck with your boy.

Where in Louisiana are you? I'm in New Orleans. I would like a rooster that won't crow all the time and make my neighbors hate me, so this could be a good match. I have a very chill flock of four ladies.

Back
Top Bottom