100.8 and steady, adjust or not?

Peppermint

Songster
9 Years
May 25, 2010
Woodinville, Washington
Set up the bator in prep for eggs coming in 2 days. Everything is rock solid and holding steady. I've got the Genesis 1588 Hova, and the temp is staying steady at 100.8 degrees. I've got three thermometers in the bator, all between 100.5-100.8. It's just a hair high, but should I try and adjust it down just a little, or leave it? The temp is auto-regulating, so it will likely stay at 100.8 even when full of eggs.

Any advice?

leave it, I incubate at 100.0-100.5 forced air, 2 more .2 will not hurt, keep an eye on it if it goes higher then bring it down

Last edited:
What I have read is that a non fan circulated incubator should be at 101 and fan assisted circulated incubator should be set to 99.5
jumpy.gif

I agree. Leave it. You will not get it much closer.

I'll assue you calibrated the thermometers so you know what temperature you really do have.

Rebel’s Thermometer Calibration
http://cmfarm.us/ThermometerCalibration.html

If it truly is that tiny bit high, hatch could be a bit early. With that difference, I would not expect it to be much early, but don't be surprised if you get a pip a little earlier than you expect.

That actually sounds real good to me.

Ya if you have fan assist well from what I have read at least on the net and the hatching from my fan assisted brinsea the temp should not really be above 100 also it seems that its better to err on the cool side especially later on when the embryeo starts to have its own body heat and can get overheated.

A word of warning: while I agree with everyone else, that this temp is okay for now, in my experience around day 9 the embryos start to create their own heat and it can cause the incubator temp to shoot up a couple of degrees. Just watch closely between 7-10 days in and adjust accordingly. Happy hatching!

true that the chicks create heat but with the 1588, there is a thermostat it will keep the temp steady, keep an eye on it, like you need to, but don't worry, 102 will not be a problem either, those 1588 are just as good as sportsman in keeping the heat where it need to be

Ok. I think I'll just leave it be. This is my first hatch, so if it stays a little too warm and the eggs hatch early....or I have a bad hatch, I'll adjust it for the next time.

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom