100 Broilers and Fermented Feed Project

I will have to go back and re-read the thread about FF and get the actual recipe measurements.
Everyone does it different, so it will be hard to find a set one...

I emailed my recipe to someone yesterday, so I'll just copy and paste what I do (for all ages)

Quote: Note: for 125ish birds I use:
300x300px-LS-4106a6f3_11154.jpeg

and I use maybe 5 - 6 scoops of wet. I dump it into a kitty litter container:
pPETS-13497058t300x300.jpg

and feed two full of this, twice a day.

We use a gutter to feed them. Under $30 - 10 feet long. Our last batch of meaties we had 20, and they took up the entire 10 foot length.. Soooo I'd do 20 feet on blocks on either side screwed down so they can get access at both sides.

We just fed on the ground in the summer once feeder space was an issue.

Last edited:
I will have to go back and re-read the thread about FF and get the actual recipe measurements.
Everyone does it different, so it will be hard to find a set one... I emailed my recipe to someone yesterday, so I'll just copy and paste what I do (for all ages)
  • Let's use a 5 gallon bucket as an example: It's pretty easy to do if you have a smaller scale flock. Take a bucket, and add 3/4 of the container of water. Fill up a similar container with all you want to add to it.. I do it about half way. So I use 2.5 gallons of dry food and 3.75 gallons of water. I do 5 1/2 parts. 4 parts is dry starter chick food (non-medicated) 1 part is whole grains (barley, wheat, oats and corn) 1/4 part black oil sunflower seeds 1/4 part timothy hay pellets I then dump all this dry into the bucket of water already filled up. I find if I fill the water in first, I get the PERFECT consistency. It also mixes the grains together so I don't have to do it by hand. How many birds are you looking to feed? One 5 gallon bucket will last nearly a week for 20 birds. Once you start it, after every feeding add back more water and feed to keep the ferment going strong. The longer it ferments, the stronger the pro-biotic cultures.
Note: for 125ish birds I use:
300x300px-LS-4106a6f3_11154.jpeg
and I use maybe 5 - 6 scoops of wet. I dump it into a kitty litter container:
pPETS-13497058t300x300.jpg
and feed two full of this, twice a day. We use a gutter to feed them. Under $30 - 10 feet long. Our last batch of meaties we had 20, and they took up the entire 10 foot length.. Soooo I'd do 20 feet on blocks on either side screwed down so they can get access at both sides. We just fed on the ground in the summer once feeder space was an issue.
:goodpost: BRAVO!!!!!!!!!! :bow OUTSTANDING!!!!! This is great info. Great tutorial!!! For someone who has OCD like me and who needs specific info like Do A, then Do B, then Do C, this is PERFECT for me. I'm printing this out to use. Thank you very much for sharing . Much appreciated!!! :yesss: :thumbsup

goodpost.gif

BRAVO!!!!!!!!!!
bow.gif

OUTSTANDING!!!!! This is great info. Great tutorial!!! For someone who has OCD like me and who needs specific info like Do A, then Do B, then Do C, this is PERFECT for me.

I'm printing this out to use.

Thank you very much for sharing . Much appreciated!!!
yesss.gif

thumbsup.gif
You sound like me :D
5-gallon-plastic-buckets-qty-12-3-70-each-call-319-310-4838-for-better-pricing-3.gif

See the bucket warning label? I fill up to just under the "WARNING" That is my form of measurement. I use a separate dry bucket to add all the dry ingredients before I pour them in :)

:goodpost:

BRAVO!!!!!!!!!! :bow

OUTSTANDING!!!!! This is great info. Great tutorial!!! For someone who has OCD like me and who needs specific info like Do A, then Do B, then Do C, this is PERFECT for me.

I'm printing this out to use.

Thank you very much for sharing . Much appreciated!!! :yesss:

:thumbsup

You sound like me :D 
5-gallon-plastic-buckets-qty-12-3-70-each-call-319-310-4838-for-better-pricing-3.gif

See the bucket warning label? I fill up to just under the "WARNING" That is my form of measurement. I use a separate dry bucket to add all the dry ingredients before I pour them in :)

Ooooooooooooooooo, I LOVE those buckets!!! :love Where did you get those from? :thumbsup

For me and recipes, when people say, "Just eyeball it" or similar things like that, I could tear my eye balls out and throw them up against the wall because that bothers me. My personality doesn't allow me function in that manner. I need to know specifics. If I don't have specifics, I get nervous, increased body temps, break out in a sweat and possibly hives. :lau. I know it sounds crazy but it's true. :oops:

I"m loving your post more and more. :love

Ooooooooooooooooo, I LOVE those buckets!!!
love.gif
Where did you get those from?
thumbsup.gif

For me and recipes, when people say, "Just eyeball it" or similar things like that, I could tear my eye balls out and throw them up against the wall because that bothers me. My personality doesn't allow me function in that manner. I need to know specifics. If I don't have specifics, I get nervous, increased body temps, break out in a sweat and possibly hives.
lau.gif
. I know it sounds crazy but it's true.
hide.gif

I"m loving your post more and more.
love.gif
See I appreciate the compliments. My wife thinks I'm crazy. I wrote down these detailed instructions for her to make feed last Friday and she did something wrong, lol.

If you do it just like this, you don't need to stir. That saves time. Pour the feed in the bucket of water slowly. The whole grains and crumble/mash/pellets will properly spread out and you won't get a layer of just whole grains, or JUST wet crumble.

These buckets are not my own. Wish I had a rainbow of buckets like that! I just have the orange ones from Home Depot :)

Ooooooooooooooooo, I LOVE those buckets!!! :love Where did you get those from? :thumbsup

For me and recipes, when people say, "Just eyeball it" or similar things like that, I could tear my eye balls out and throw them up against the wall because that bothers me. My personality doesn't allow me function in that manner. I need to know specifics. If I don't have specifics, I get nervous, increased body temps, break out in a sweat and possibly hives. :lau . I know it sounds crazy but it's true. :oops:

I"m loving your post more and more. :love

See I appreciate the compliments. My wife thinks I'm crazy. I wrote down these detailed instructions for her to make feed last Friday and she did something wrong, lol.

If you do it just like this, you don't need to stir. That saves time. Pour the feed in the bucket of water slowly. The whole grains and crumble/mash/pellets will properly spread out and you won't get a layer of just whole grains, or JUST wet crumble. 

These buckets are not my own. Wish I had a rainbow of buckets like that! I just have the orange ones from Home Depot :)

You are very welcome.

LOL @ your wife did something wrong after you left detailed instructions. :lau

I"m loving your instructional guide. :love :thumbsup

And by the way, you're not crazy. :lau

It would be nice to be able to color code some things with the buckets!

It would be nice to be able to color code some things with the buckets!

Yes!! It would really help with rotations! I could do Burgundy buckets on Sunday, red buckets on Monday, orange on Tuesday, Yellow on Wednesday, Green on Thursday, Blue on Friday, Purple on Saturday. 

Yes I am that precise... lol

I LOVE your mind !!!!!!! :bow

Back
Top Bottom