100 degree day 6yearold hen died of maggots and chicks ate them! Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Christ'sCowgirlChick :

I was reading the forums about maggots and I'm guilty of letting my hen die "naturally" please don't lecture me. She was the most loved chicken I ever had! I couldn't bear to have my dad chop her head off! I swear I will if it ever happens again! Don't lecture.
hmm.png

Belive me I was screaming when I first saw them.
somad.gif
I've never seen maggots before!
th.gif

So please. My hens and rooster + chicks are in cages I put up off the ground. But my hen died in the coop last night and my sister went in first and saw that the chicks were picking at Blackie. Probably eating maggots. They're only a mon. old. Now what will happen?
hu.gif
:hit I've never had maggots in my 8 years of owning chickens! Please tell me anyting I could do to save my other chickens. I can't lose the rest of my flock. I'm showing them in Aug.

We've added goats and horses in the last 2 years. The horses are fine but the goats had worms bad. We also have cows. All the manure leading to mass infestation?

Thanks for any help!

Sorry you lost your chicken.
sad.png

Quote:
You can put up fans to keep a steady breeze going, provide shade and cool clean fresh water, electrolytes, and I'm not sure that I would squirt my hens with a hose and if it would even help cool them down but you could try misting them with a spray bottle around the face and legs. You could also put a little tub of cold water for them to stand in.

Quote:
Wow, you are just absolutely relentless. Let me ask you...what happened to birds like this in the wild before you came around?

From what I read, her bird became ill or injured, infested with maggots, and then died. I didn't read anything about her running around the yard using it as a swatter to kill flies and or kicked through the uprights as a football. She was horribly overwhelmed by what was probably her favorite bird and couldn't bring herself to do the dirty (or ask someone else). Good for you for being a big toughy. Much like her, I'm overly emotionally attached to pets, like my pug. What would I do in the same situation? Frankly, merely thinking about the possibility of something like that happening to my pug brings tears to my eyes.

She asked more than once to not get preached to. She explained what she learned from the situation and asked for help. Yet your self-righteousness could not be controlled. Hopefully she was not so put off by your replies that she'll refuse to come back here next time for help. For shame.

Quote:
Mothering is about teaching and training our children, to be sure. It is done with love, sacrifice and gentle firmness. Then the child learns to be a responsible, upright person. And we ARE called to be our children's friends, just not before we exercise discipline and/or training.
Teaching without gentleness is contrary to the goal, especially when the child is already sorry and expresses they have learned the lesson. There is then no reason to continue, unless it is for the purpose of rubbing salt in an already open wound. How do I know? I have 9 children.

It warms my heart to know that ALL of your animals get the best care possible. Now maybe you can give the same 'best care' to the people around you, namely the folks on this forum. We can all benefit from those who have expertise in these areas, but only when offered humbly and gently. We are all here to learn. It is ironic to me that you are concerned for the needless suffering of this animal, yet inflict suffering on another person so readily.

As far as this young person goes, I am sure they will sleep very well at night. They know they are a wiser person because of this and gaining this wisdom will help raise their ability to continue to care for such beloved animals. If she didn't care about her animals, she never would have posted anything in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom