100 degree weather

pudgeson

Chirping
Feb 23, 2020
Hi everyone, I have 4 week old chicks and I've been noticing that their mouths have been open and it seems like they may be kindof hot. I've stopped using the heat lamp for a week now. The past few days it has been 100 degrees where I live and I was wondering what I could do so they can cool down a little.

Hi everyone, I have 4 week old chicks and I've been noticing that their mouths have been open and it seems like they may be kindof hot. I've stopped using the heat lamp for a week now. The past few days it has been 100 degrees where I live and I was wondering what I could do so they can cool down a little.
Give them nice cool treats. Cut up melons, cucumbers, fruits, veggies - and you can freeze it or refrigerate it. They’ll love it.
Put ice in their waterer. Give colder water.
Give them a small kiddie pool and fill it with an inch or two of cold water to walk in and cool their feet off.
Do they have shade? Shade is necessary for chickens.
Maybe add water to their feed and refrigerate it for a little while to give them a nice cold refreshing treat. You can always chop up seedy fruits and veggies and freeze it in a block of ice and toss it out to them. They’ll peck at it and get bits of ice and frozen veggies to eat. That will cool them off. Hope I helped! Reply if you have any questions

I live in Texas and my babies were doing the same thing. I started putting some zip lock bags filled with ice cubes in the brooder and they knew what to do right away

I live in Texas and my babies were doing the same thing. I started putting some zip lock bags filled with ice cubes in the brooder and they knew what to do right away

Attachments

• F0114F0B-9EDF-4340-AF8C-741802F91230.png
    F0114F0B-9EDF-4340-AF8C-741802F91230.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
  • 22D1FF5B-2009-4DFA-98EB-199D5F073B24.png
    22D1FF5B-2009-4DFA-98EB-199D5F073B24.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom