100 Pictures of My Flock (Pic Heavy!)

Your pictures are amazing, and have made me laugh from post one, to post two! XD
Please, keep it up! I know you can do this! You're more than halfway there! :D

Meanwhile, I might take up a challenge of my own like this... X3 Why must you inspire me?

Last edited:
I've been sick for a couple days, but I managed to tough it out and go get some pictures to share! After all, isn't chicken therapy the best medicine? ;)

First off, another contender for 36. the most eggs in one nest box by the hens. Not sure if this counts at all, though. As I said, I've been sick, so I didn't collect the eggs yesterday. So about half of these eggs are from yesterday and the rest from today. :idunno

36mosteggssofar-9.jpg

Speaking of eggs, I was walking in the chicken yard the other day and came across 60. an odd egg.

60anoddegg.jpg

It wasn't odd for size or shape, or even color. It was odd for location: about 20 feet from the chicken coop. See the coop in the background here?

60oddegglocation.jpg

I guess an Easter-egger in the flock had a lazy day.

Every year, a new 'spa' crops up, where I will witness mass dust-bathings. It has been everywhere from beside the forsythia bush to under one of the window boxes on the house. This year's spa is just a few feet down the driveway from the chicken coop. I didn't catch a mass dust-bathing there like I had hoped, but at least Flicker, Twisty, and Pace were having 9. a day at the spa.

9adayatthespa.jpg

Notice the open dusting holes all around?

95. A pretty Guinea. Scratch that, a handsome Guinea! I just love how my royal purple Guinea boys look when they catch the sun just so!

95aprettyguinea.jpg

I fell ill when we were just about finished with a new section for the Guinea fowl enclosure, extra tall so that I can put some really high perches in. The hens decided to play the role of 68. building inspectors while I was out with my camera today.

Kate thinks the door is questionable. Of course, everything is questionable to Kate; she's such a worrier!

68buildinginspectorkate.jpg

Betty, however, quite likes it over all. The support on one wall is a good place to perch.

68buildinginspectorbetty.jpg

Betty even took 84. a 'tightrope' walk across it. "Seems sturdy..."

84atightropewalk.jpg

And with these themes checked, that puts me at three-fourths of the way done!! 25 themes to go and 2-and-a-half weeks to do it!

EDIT: And for some reason, I can't edit the first post to check these off... :confused: I guess I'll try again later..?

Last edited:
Pipd--thanks for sharing about your career path...I'm just as glad to hear that you plan to work with animals one day! Your love of animals comes through loud and clear, so the animals will be happy...and if you keep writing for us on BYC, we'll be happy, too! Tomorrow, I'm going to search my back yard to see if my chickens have built a "spa"
yesss.gif

Those of you interested:

I can no longer update the first post because of a 'new' (recently fixed) feature on the BYC site. My checklist will now be housed at this page: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/100-pictures-of-my-flock

I will also be moving all the pictures I've posted on this thread (save for the third-eyelid pic, which was taken last winter) to that page as an archive. That means there will be more than 150 pictures on that page before long--those of you whose computers have difficulty loading pictures have been warned!

I have a few pictures to upload, but I'm going to try to get a few more before I do. I have until Monday before school starts--I'm hoping to at least have 80-85 themes completed before then!

A few days ago (y'know, back when the sun actually came out), I caught Twisty and Merlin together, two 18. sunbathing hens.

18sunbathinghens.jpg

This is what's left of one of the two pumpkins we actually got to grow. The hens found it under the pine tree near the pumpkin vine and they obliterated it. (This picture is after I found the ruins, picked it, and just tossed it to them.) Those 11. naughty hens!

11naughtyhens.jpg

Spot the chicken in this picture:

27hiddenchickenwheresmaggie.jpg

...Give up? Here she is a little closer:

27hiddenchickenstealthbath.jpg

Maggie sure played the 27. hidden chicken well. She was stealth-dustbathing!

27hiddenchickenmaggiedustbath.jpg

38. the most hens in one shot. :lol: Okay, maybe I cheated a little on this one... :oops:

38mosthensinonepic.jpg

There are 25 hens in that picture--can you spot them all? (HINT: One of the silver Sebrights is here. You can just see the tiniest white spot where one of her feathers is sticking out.)

And here we have a 45. Guinea in the grass. You can also see in this picture where a chicken pen used to be--note the straight line between grass and bare dirt.

45guineainthegrass.jpg

There's only one way to describe this picture. 82. ...what in the world? I am not entirely sure what Twisty is doing here, but Freema seemed willing to sit through it, so I left her.

82whatintheworld.jpg

And this one's just too cool not to share. Flying Guinea!

00flyingguinea.jpg

Which means I am up to 82 / 100 completed themes and 163 pictures total!

Last edited:
Ugh, since school started, not so well. I don't have any new pictures. Been a pretty tough semester, actually.

I do, however, plan to try again with this project next year. I'm thinking I might do a more year-round challenge rather than just over summer break, with new (and somewhat less difficult) themes and perhaps a second photo project to kind of parallel it. I like to have excuses to visit the girls, after all. :D

Back
Top Bottom