100% Urban Predator proof Chicken Run

Did the county give you a deed to it? If not, then, technically you don't own it. :) It sounds like you'll be fine with the eaves hanging over the fence...but if you don't legally own that land then be aware that later on if a county employee with a bad attitude comes along he/she could cause a problem. Is the alley graveled? Dirt? Asphalt? If it is just dirt you might want to run a line of gravel under the eave so that the run-off doesn't cause a rut/wash to form. But, there again, there may not be enough run-off to really matter. :)

Best wishes,
Ed

True, we are allowed to build on our half of the alley and the county has allowed all building permit requests so far so I don't think it is a big deal and its public record of when it switched over, but I seriously doubt they would bother with a 2-3" overhang but yeah I could see a grump trying to stir up trouble, but that would be bad for them because then our entire neighborhood would want them to maintain those alleys... which they would never go back to... I have yet to see a county person walk those grass dirt alleys in my 12 years here, but you do have a point and I appreciate your concern.
smile.png

I do plan to dig a drainage trench but I will have a gutter as well collecting water, the main reason I am building the overhang is more for snow, I just don't want the snow to shift or slide between the coop and fence and press up on the back of the run, it would never see sun and after a few storms I could see there being a major issue with weight and compromising the wire on the back.
I am putting a gutter on the back side to collect water for the chickens. I have an idea for this but I have a habit of thinking fifteen steps ahead and I have to keep myself rained in on the here and now with the future in a distance picture.

I was going to put a lot of work in this weekend and I would imagine I would have the framing and wire done, but with this Hurricane coming up it is looking like a wet one... so lets keep our fingers crossed!
fl.gif

Last edited:
It sounds like you'll be ok with the overhang. With that little of an area between fence and coop/run have you thought about blocking that area off so some adventuresome chicken doesn't end up trapped in between?

Ya'll be careful with the storm.

Ed

It sounds like you'll be ok with the overhang. With that little of an area between fence and coop/run have you thought about blocking that area off so some adventuresome chicken doesn't end up trapped in between?

Ya'll be careful with the storm.

Ed

Yes thank you, the storm isn't going to really hit us thankfully, but the outer bands of heavy rain will so that should be fun.

OH YES, one thing this newbi has learned is chickens will find a way to get in trouble! there will be a blockade of some form there.
lau.gif

My only question is, why the tile? That beautiful gravel base with the hardware cloth on top will make for terrific drainage (exactly what we did in our coop), then layer plenty of sand on top for the girls to dig and play in. Other than that, if you are doing what is shown in the pictures, it should be gorgeous.

This is built on a slope, so we had to use more gravel than you would on the level. About 4-5 yards of gravel, heavy landscape fabric, and topped with hardware cloth. Then there is about 8" of river sand on top of everything. When complete we layered gravel all around the foundation to further discourage digging and keep mud to a minimum. Out where we are, we have all manner of predators, to include racoons, coyotes, and bears.

Those small round vents are what I cut in to the crawl space below the storage section of our coop, They seem to work great, and go in securely if you have the right size hole saw. If your vents go in easy, they'll pop out easy too. Too tight and you will deform and crush them. (don't ask how I know both those things :O )

We used landscape fabric over our gravel base because we didn't want the sand in the run to filter down, compacting our washed gravel. That would ruin the drainage capability that we put gravel in to start with.

My only question is, why the tile? That beautiful gravel base with the hardware cloth on top will make for terrific drainage (exactly what we did in our coop), then layer plenty of sand on top for the girls to dig and play in. Other than that, if you are doing what is shown in the pictures, it should be gorgeous. This is built on a slope, so we had to use more gravel than you would on the level. About 4-5 yards of gravel, heavy landscape fabric, and topped with hardware cloth. Then there is about 8" of river sand on top of everything. When complete we layered gravel all around the foundation to further discourage digging and keep mud to a minimum. Out where we are, we have all manner of predators, to include racoons, coyotes, and bears.
Yeah we decided not to do the tile as well. We were way over thinking which is what I tend to do at first
1f606.png
. Yeah I think once I get things set up a little further in I may dig out a little further and add more rock under the skirt. Question, do you prefer the sand to just a dirt run? Benefits?

Those small round vents are what I cut in to the crawl space below the storage section of our coop,  They seem to work great, and go in securely if you have the right size hole saw.  If your vents go in easy, they'll pop out easy too.  Too tight and you will deform and crush them. (don't ask how I know both those things :O )

Thanx I was curious about them look good but questioned function.

Also same question for you. Sand vs dirt run?

Definitely sand. It drains better, dries faster, and is easier to clean by raking the top inch or so and pouring it through a sifter when the poop builds up. A little like sifting a cat litter box, only on a larger scale as needed.

Back
Top Bottom