100%!!!

happybooker1

Songster
11 Years
Oct 4, 2012
Huntsville Texas
Three weeks ago, I found my Salmon Faverolle roo dead in the yard one afternoon. He was a big beautiful one also!!

I had pulled 5 eggs that day so I put them all in the Brinsea 7 & plugged it in. The next day I pulled 3 more n put 2 in the Incubator, not sure they’d hatch. Then I waited.

Over the weekend the first 5 hatched, & today the last 2 pipped n I’m just waiting on the last one to break out. I can’t believe I got 100%!!

Moms are EEs, a Cuckoo Maran, and a Silkie. Hoping I can get a couple pullets grown to 5-6 months! That’s when I usually lose them.

Last edited:
Congrats on your hatch!
Do you know why you lose them at that age ? Have you ever thought of getting a necropsy done ?

Congrats on your hatch!
Do you know why you lose them at that age ? Have you ever thought of getting a necropsy done ?

Just being loose. That’s when I put them out in the big coop with the rest of the flock. And they gradually disappear. Or stop coming back at night to the coop. One at a time. I guess from adjusting to being free during the day. I never find a body or feathers so I really don’t see it being predators. And it’s never the older hens that disappear.

Do you lock them in the coop for a few days so they recognize it as "home"? Is it possible the older hens are chasing off the younger ones, and then they get eaten by predators because they don't come home?

Yes I put them in the locked chicken yard n go and check around dusk and be sure everyone’s in and physically try to find n put in all the missing ones. This goes for about a week until I open the gate to the yard.

I never see the older hens chasing the babies when they’re out. There’s some posturing n pecking around food but I try to have multiple piles.

Back
Top Bottom