$100...

We used to have hoards of coons around here. They were constantly climbing on top of the aviaries, peeking in the sides, getting into the greenhouse, etc...But lately the coyote population seems to be exploding and I have not seen a coon track or scat in ages. Fat and sassy coyotes!
lol.png

Last edited:
Just released my second coon this month at the river a good ways away. They scratch around under my pen but just generally upset my birds. I Trap them in a no kill cage and release. We can get 25 per coon down here in Georgia, they use them to train hounds. Not too humane, I'd rather release far away.

I find the best bait for coons is some good old KFC fried chicken with a side of grape drink, seriously they can't resist it. They'll hop right on your trap for it.

I find the best bait for coons is some good old KFC fried chicken with a side of grape drink, seriously they can't resist it. They'll hop right on your trap for it.
Actually, the "best" bait for raccoons is something outdoor stores sell marketed as "Deer Corn". My b-n-l dumped a bag of "deer corn" and had a game camera over it to... well, he was baiting before hunting season, and he had 500 pictures of coons... dozens of them in 1 picture. The only reason I haven't shot any coons is I won't shoot something I have no intentions of eating.
James

How's your quail population ? I finally got mine under control.I went from over 400 to the 21 breeders that I am keeping .A friend of mine that has a deer processing shop has been selling them to the hunters, they like to cook them at camp .I don't see any way ,that we could make an actual profit from them unless we got $40.00 ea. haha .I am hooked on eating the 6 raw quail eggs per day .I can really feel the difference

TO BEAKMASTER

How's your quail population ? I finally got mine under control.I went from over 400 to the 21 breeders that I am keeping .A friend of mine that has a deer processing shop has been selling them to the hunters, they like to cook them at camp .I don't see any way ,that we could make an actual profit from them unless we got $40.00 ea. haha .I am hooked on eating the 6 raw quail eggs per day .I can really feel the difference .

I have 78 now and 48 of those will be maturing any day now. Once I figure out their sex I will cull some males. Hoping to end up with around 50 layers. I only have around 24 layers now.
I have about 120 eggs in my incubator that just started hatching and have buyers ready to pick them up. I pay for their food by selling the eggs and some chicks on craigslist. I don't see it ever being a money maker.

Back
Top Bottom