1000 hens are hard to count

Eastins Eggs

Songster
11 Years
Jan 11, 2009
Ceresco Nebraska
We are about 10 miles north of Lincoln Nebraska. Hens are raised on 20 acres of pasture. We supply the university and other businesses with free range containment free white and brown eggs ether retail or wholesale. Have been in the egg business for about 10 years. Raise a variety of breeds. As you can imagine trying to count around 1000 hens is not easy since they wont line up to be counted. We have 500 chicks coming in late February to try and keep up with demand. We use Great Pureness guard dogs to keep the chickens safe sense we do not use fences of any kind. They sleep with the hens. I have been reading the posts for a while and thought I would join.

First:
welcome-byc.gif

Second:
th.gif

Third:
bow.gif

You're going to be quite popular if you hang around for a while!
big_smile.png

welcome-byc.gif

Is it hard to use all your fingers and toes 50 times?

Imp- calculating

I had to stop at 5. I'm very right handed.

Quote:
You're going to have to crack the whip and get your chicks jumping to get in line! Obedience school should be a requirement for those unruly hens or off to boot camp they go.

On a serious note, I couldn't even imagine that many chickens. And you are adding another 500??? You are going to have to share your secrets for keeping that many. We would love to hear how you manage that many birds!

And of course,

19514_welcome_to_byc.gif

Yes we are adding 500 more to the flock. We put up a new 40 by 40 building last summer. Also have several 8 by 12 range houses on skids we move with a old John Deere tractor. I will try and get pictures of the farm on here some time soon.

Back
Top Bottom