Chicken Breed Focus - Langshan

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
The Langshan is a rather unique looking breed. It is an extremely tall looking chicken with a characteristic 'U' shape body. Besides it's leg length, much of it's height comes from the uprightness with which it stands. The breed's deep, full breast and exceptional depth of body, long back and the straight rising tail angle all contribute to its distinctive “U” shape.

Langshans are named after district around the Yangtsze-kiang River in China where they were developed over many centuries. There are four distinct types within the breed. The most popular version, is the original utility black Langshan, these became known as Croad Langshans in England, named after Major A.C. Croad, who was the first to import the breed into England 1872. They have lightly feathered shanks and outside toes, and are the most common type of Langshan in the US also. Another popular type is the German Langshan which is also very tall and clean legged. In England the long legged type known as the Modern Langshan was developed more for the show pen and the birds came to resemble the Modern Games. Then there was a shorter legged version resembling the Cochin. These birds were used in the creation of the Orpington.

The Lanshan is a duel purpose breed. They are considered good meat birds with the full breast giving an abundance of white meat. They are also a very hardy breed, considered easy to raise, they are quite cold tolerant and are heat tolerant. They are very good foragers and good flyers. The hens are very good layers, will go broody occasionally and make good mothers.

They have been used in the formation of many other breeds.

The APA recognizes three colors, the original Black, with White and Blue being added to the standard later.

It was recognized by the APA in 1883 and is on The Livestock Conservancy's list as Threatened.

Details:

Breed purpose: Dual Purpose.
Comb Type: Single
Broodiness: Occasional, good mothers.
Climate Tolerance: Very cold hardy, heat tolerant.
Weight: roosters 9.5lbs, hens 7.5lbs.
Egg Productivity: Good
Egg Size: Large
Egg Color: Brown

iiq4aqcxTfcGxdj-34zySmM5swcvP_EaWZLZC4DlSQOuxhZVjbMSA-6Di3eFeUuyFtvHtXCKuygHJMomFz9jaPtS_DRBsOLC_Vxge3Dg96UID1DheoGD-vnqkZfzcyUFpaiNicA

Rooster, picture @langshanman

x72ceR4NilIqPjh5SCIFb7KsR9eX08DIb1LhS-VZukQUekd1a9BkjOKIw5aRTd25g9scSf3gz3cuwAce02yn0u6Ciq6vR8OQxKAUo73pKVV_8ZcQVIhlkSkH5z638K46rhz6GdA

Hen, picture @mslady

1FXirT-06M9UUo-MfqtkTHRbAh4zNUBte-_UxmE2N2nJRcUH0Ilk6YOP5VxxyofUER0gdoZyCCUlGG_t3tRk6Hsh-J12OB3wxCxAQz1pvTWLXMdUTMNPkVwTPkKGXlDDQctsvZc

Chicks, picture @PetRock

BYC Breed reviews:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/langshan

General breed discussions & FAQ thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/284419/langshan-thread/0_20

Do you own Langshans? Are you a Langshan breeder? If so, please reply to this thread with the your thoughts and experiences, including:

· What made you decide to get this breed?
· Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?
· What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?
· Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc!

We have a bunch of other awesome breed-focus threads for you to enjoy. You can see all of them here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chicken-breed-focus-project.975504/

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't currently have chickens. But I think about and plan for my next flock every day. I might be obsessed. I like the idea of raising chickens that are endangered or threatened...which is why I now want Langshans. (I also want Dorkings and a ((yet undetermined)) endangered small breed.) Technically I can have them where I currently live, Birmingham, AL. The regulations say 25 hens and 2 roosters. But my landlord says, "NO PETS". Well.....chickens are not pets.....yeah, that's what I'm going with......
smile.png

So...assuming I can convince my landlord, or find a better place to live.....where do I find some Langshans? I don't have an incubator, so I would need chicks or adults.

Lovere

I don't currently have chickens.  But I think about and plan for my next flock every day.  I might be obsessed.  I like the idea of raising chickens that are endangered or threatened...which is why I now want Langshans.  (I also want Dorkings and a ((yet undetermined)) endangered small breed.)  Technically I can have them where I currently live, Birmingham, AL.  The regulations say 25 hens and 2 roosters.  But my landlord says, "NO PETS".  Well.....chickens are not pets.....yeah, that's what I'm going with......:) .

So...assuming I can convince my landlord, or find a better place to live.....where do I find some Langshans?  I don't have an incubator, so I would need chicks or adults.

Lovere

Roll Tide.

Dont forget the Australian Langshan.

They are much smaller in the body than the croads but still have long, feathered legs. When they where first brought to Australia there where limited numbers and needed to be bred with Australorps to continue the birds on, eventuating in the new type of Langshan. I believe.

Have gotten them in assortments from McMurray, friends of mine loves this breed and they usually talk me out of them, so I've never had one past a couple of months. :) They are a neat breed, the adults have that unusual shape you can see from far away, and they do seem to be friendly birds and good layers.
A couple of white pullet chicks from a McMurray order just before they got claimed again.

I don't currently have chickens.  But I think about and plan for my next flock every day.  I might be obsessed.  I like the idea of raising chickens that are endangered or threatened...which is why I now want Langshans.  (I also want Dorkings and a ((yet undetermined)) endangered small breed.)  Technically I can have them where I currently live, Birmingham, AL.  The regulations say 25 hens and 2 roosters.  But my landlord says, "NO PETS".  Well.....chickens are not pets.....yeah, that's what I'm going with......:) .

So...assuming I can convince my landlord, or find a better place to live.....where do I find some Langshans?  I don't have an incubator, so I would need chicks or adults.

Lovere

Sounds like a good plan, there are some neat breeds out there that sure need to be more popular!
If you are looking for show or heritage birds you'll probably want to go to a breeder for chicks/eggs ... check / ask in the breed thread to see if there is one in your area or find someone who ships chicks/eggs https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/284419/langshan-thread/0_20
If you are OK with hatchery birds, most of the commercial hatcheries carry at least blacks and/or whites, ie BYC sponser Ideal Poultry carries blacks, and some of the smaller hatcheries like Sand Hill Preservation Center carry blues also.

@Kelsie2290 I ordered ten blacks and five (their max) blues from SandHill. They couldn't fill the order so sent the other chicks on my order and packing peanuts. When I got the box it said it contained four langshans, yeah better than none, except there was only one and only 22 chicks not 25....?
You can tell at a couple days old it's going to be a tall one. This is a pic the day I got it.

I don't currently have chickens. But I think about and plan for my next flock every day. I might be obsessed. I like the idea of raising chickens that are endangered or threatened...which is why I now want Langshans. (I also want Dorkings and a ((yet undetermined)) endangered small breed.) Technically I can have them where I currently live, Birmingham, AL. The regulations say 25 hens and 2 roosters. But my landlord says, "NO PETS". Well.....chickens are not pets.....yeah, that's what I'm going with......
smile.png

So...assuming I can convince my landlord, or find a better place to live.....where do I find some Langshans? I don't have an incubator, so I would need chicks or adults.

Lovere
A suggestion:

For a small endangered breed, try the nankin. They were not meant as eggs or meat... they were meant to be broodies! They will be your incubator.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom