105 degrees outside

Shawnstve

Chirping
May 25, 2023
I’ve got 5-6 week old pullets, they are mostly feathered, it is 98 degrees today and will reach 105 next week, will they be ok? We don’t have electricity ran to the coop, so I can’t put an air conditioner in there, or misters. what do you recommend? I’ve been out there every hour trying to hose down the coop and their run…

In the past, I mounted fans above the windows to direct the hot air out using heavy duty extension cords until we got our electricity added to the buildings. This worked well for 100+ days. I hope this suggestion helps.

I think what you are doing is good.
Is there enough shade for them as well?? Or can you create more shade for them and spray down the run too??

Shade, cold water, get a kiddie pool and put dirt in it and soak the dirt down to make it moist - they will have a ball in that. They will be fine, most important thing is shade and fresh water.

Edit to add: also you mentioned coop - make sure there is plenty of ventilation.

I think what you are doing is good.
Is there enough shade for them as well?? Or can you create more shade for them and spray down the run too??
Yea there is a tarp on half the run.

For the fan, I don’t think I can run an extension chord that far.

Shade, cold water, get a kiddie pool and put dirt in it and soak the dirt down to make it moist - they will have a ball in that. They will be fine, most important thing is shade and fresh water.

Edit to add: also you mentioned coop - make sure there is plenty of ventilation.
Yes plenty of ventilation, a large window pops down with chicken wire behind it, and I leave the run door open, and there are vents up top as well.

A well ventilated coop and deep shade will help.
Make a moist dust bath area, in a shady spot by spritzing it with your hose
Cool, so for a dust bath area, what medium should I use? Just the dirt in the run ok? Or should I use potting soil? Will it be dusty if I hose it down? Or should I just lightly hose it? Don’t soak it?

Yea there is a tarp on half the run.

For the fan, I don’t think I can run an extension chord that far.
There are small tent fans that run on rechargeable batteries (charge by usb) . I have a few I use. I keep one on the charger and one or two in the coop on hot days.

Cool, so for a dust bath area, what medium should I use? Just the dirt in the run ok? Or should I use potting soil? Will it be dusty if I hose it down? Or should I just lightly hose it? Don’t soak it?
Just normal dirt, potting mix can have funky chemicals.
Just let it run a minute or two, turn it off and let it soak in for about 10 minutes before you let your girls out.

Back
Top Bottom