105F Temperature spike

Jaz0926

In the Brooder
Jun 15, 2023
Hi all!

I was having a bit of a incubator crisis. My Nuture Right 360 was having problems, so i switched my eggs to A Little Giant that I installed a fan in.

I always have extra thermometers in my incubators also! The eggs are technically in lockdown and last night I woke up and decided to check the the incubator.

My thermometers read 105 degrees!! I made sure to cool it and get it down to 99/100 degrees. The max it was at that was 4/5 hours. Im not 100 percent sure.

Anyways, has anyone had this happen before?
Did it kill your chicks or did you have a hatch?

Thank you!

Hi all!

I was having a bit of a incubator crisis. My Nuture Right 360 was having problems, so i switched my eggs to A Little Giant that I installed a fan in.

I always have extra thermometers in my incubators also! The eggs are technically in lockdown and last night I woke up and decided to check the the incubator.

My thermometers read 105 degrees!! I made sure to cool it and get it down to 99/100 degrees. The max it was at that was 4/5 hours. Im not 100 percent sure.

Anyways, has anyone had this happen before?
Did it kill your chicks or did you have a hatch?

Thank you!
I did have this happen with my little giant. Mine got 110 for 5-6 hours
Earlier at day 10 ish only lost one of 12 and it was a little behind the others to start with
The reason mine spiked was adding warm water to the bator
When you added water was it room temp or cooler ? If not that’s what spiked it

I did have this happen with my little giant. Mine got 110 for 5-6 hours
Earlier at day 10 ish only lost one of 12 and it was a little behind the others to start with
The reason mine spiked was adding warm water to the bator
When you added water was it room temp or cooler ? If not that’s what spiked it
I only add room temperature water during incubation, so I don’t think that was the problem with this. I have no other ideas on why it did it. Its not hot in our house or by a window. Tomorrow is day 21 and I really do hope some hatch. I’ve been so nerved up about the temperature ever since.

It did it because Little Giants are junk and are extremely unreliable. I call them embryo exterminators.
There are two primary problems with them. The 40 watt heat element is too small to generate the heat needed in a Styrofoam/plexiglass box. Worse is the controller. It isn't nearly precise enough in my mind for reliable incubation.
They have made the same incubator as long as I can remember. Because people continue to buy them, they have no financial incentive to upgrade with newer more appropriate parts.

It did it because Little Giants are junk and are extremely unreliable. I call them embryo exterminators.
There are two primary problems with them. The 40 watt heat element is too small to generate the heat needed in a Styrofoam/plexiglass box. Worse is the controller. It isn't nearly precise enough in my mind for reliable incubation.
They have made the same incubator as long as I can remember. Because people continue to buy them, they have no financial incentive to upgrade with newer more appropriate parts.
I agree that they are junk, but i am glad I had it for back up! I got the issue figured out and have 19 new chicks now! I think they're okay for hatching in emergencies, but I would not use it during the whole process. My main incubator was down and if I didn’t have it. I would have 19 dead chicks. It was scary when it spiked, the control is very off. It has to be set around 96 for mine or it does spike. Ive messed with it now the chicks are out of it.

Agreed. ANYTHING that serves as a backup is better than doing nothing.
In fact, over the years, I used them as a cheap backup. I just wish the controller was more reliable. I considered them as a hatcher but being Styrofoam makes them less than desirable from a disinfection standpoint.

I agree that they are junk, but i am glad I had it for back up! I got the issue figured out and have 19 new chicks now! I think they're okay for hatching in emergencies, but I would not use it during the whole process. My main incubator was down and if I didn’t have it. I would have 19 dead chicks. It was scary when it spiked, the control is very off. It has to be set around 96 for mine or it does spike. Ive messed with it now the chicks are out of it.
Agreed. ANYTHING that serves as a backup is better than doing nothing.
In fact, over the years, I used them as a cheap backup. I just wish the controller was more reliable. I considered them as a hatcher but being Styrofoam makes them less than desirable from a disinfection standpoint.
To your point, temperature spikes is the scariest thing about them.

Back
Top Bottom